what does it feel like to be someone's second marriage??

1. Beamboh profile image60
    Beambohposted 7 years ago

what does it feel like to be someone's second marriage??

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

It's no different than the first except without whatever the problem was that caused the first one to fall apart.

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Speaking from my own experience (which, I suppose, is all any one person can do big_smile), there are definite pros and cons to being a second...or third. In my case, my husband is my second and I am his third, though we both seem to have picked up the same kinds of things from our previous marriages. First, there is bound to be some emotional baggage from a previous marriage, and sometimes it can be hard to get over those issues. For example, my husband's first wife cheated on him and the second was extremely controlling to the point of even picking out his socks and underwear for him. My first husband had a very low self-esteem, and compensated for it by treating me as sub-human. Now sometimes even little things crop up...he gets upset if he can't find "acceptable" matching underclothes, or I can't stop asking permission to buy food items at the grocery store or overreact to mild criticism, etc. However, there is also the positive side. Both of us have learned a lot from what caused our previous marriages to fall apart, and since we've already been in bad relationships we appreciate each other's good points that much more. Having seen what it can be like, we tend not to take any little thing for granted and both work on the relationship constantly, as well as let each other know when there's something we really appreciate about the other.