jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How do you deal with compliments?

1. The Power Glider profile image60
    The Power Gliderposted 7 years ago

How do you deal with compliments?

When others comment on how great of a job you've done, or how you've dealt with a difficult situation how do you respond? With genuine grattitude? Pleased but don't think it's worthy of the compliment? Perhaps even with the thought of, 'I'm glad they finally appreciate it.'? Maybe something else entirely comes to mind . . .

2. vgf1968 profile image61
    vgf1968posted 7 years ago

There are two kinds of compliments - sincere ones and sarcastic insult ones.  I handle both the same - or try to - I politely thank the person for the complement.
    In the past, I was known to downplay the compliment - write it off - with comments like, "Oh this old thing, or I'm just having a really good day."   I have learned that that is disrespectful to the person offering the compliment and disrespectful to myself.
    Finally, I rarely, anymore, do anything with an intent of seeking gratitude.  I live my life so that I like the person in the mirror and don't worry about what others think of me.   Makes life MUCH easier.

3. NCapamaggio profile image58
    NCapamaggioposted 7 years ago

Man that's a good question! I'm so bad at accepting them.  I hope you get some good answers on this one.

4. bjspivey-rivers profile image73
    bjspivey-riversposted 7 years ago

I have tried all the choices you suggest.  I find that to smile and simply say, "Thank you" is the best response.  If I can find something to compliment in the other person, I do.  And that's it.

5. sofs profile image81
    sofsposted 7 years ago

OOH I like your question.  I think we need to take compliments and negative comments in our stride. Never get puffed up or pulled down.
    Thanx is due and so is appreciation of the other person's effort to let you know what they think. Speaks a lot about the person.

I think since sincere compliments are few and far between, an attitude of gratitude and humbly acceptance of the compliment with grace is befitting.

6. The Power Glider profile image60
    The Power Gliderposted 7 years ago

I've got to say that i really like the responses so far.  NCapamaggio, I hope you're enjoying this too. vgf, have you ever read the poem, If, by Rudyard Kipling? There's a line in it that you've sparked a memory of, "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster/ And treat those two impostors just the same;" I enjoy the simplicity of "Thank You", rivers. Sofs, I enjoy the strength of your enthusiasm and the common sense approach.
    Over all, thank you for the participation!

7. rajivnandy profile image60
    rajivnandyposted 7 years ago

Dealing with compliments can be something one can get used to . But one should always know that  not to get too carried away with them because this later result in  a huge change of one's attitude .

8. skisy profile image84
    skisyposted 6 years ago

I actually really appreciate it when someone takes the time just to say that I did something well. I never do something expecting recognition or for the sake of recognition. So it's often a nice surprise in a way that someone has noticed, as it is like a confirmation that I actually did do something right.

Thought I often end up saying a simple "Thanks" in response, and possibly not always sounding that enthusiastic, mainly because I don't really know what else to say, even though really I am actually very grateful for it.

working