jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What steps would you take to deal with a disrespectful colleague?

1. Purpose Embraced profile image96
    Purpose Embracedposted 4 years ago

What steps would you take to deal with a disrespectful colleague?

There is likely to be a person at your workplace who  treats you with disrespect. This could affect your self-esteem and cause a stressful work environment. What positive steps could you take to deal with situation?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I always try talking to them first. I think it's best to try to settle things by myself if it's possible. I explain what they say and do which I don't like and ask them nicely to either stop or stay away from me. If that doesn't work, I'll often talk to one of their friends and ask them to please talk to the person because they might be able to make the other person understand. If both of those fail and I have to work closely with a disrespectful person, I'll report it to my team leader and let him handle it. I really hate having to take that final step and, fortunately, have only had to do it once. Usually talking to the disrespectful person has solved the problem for me.

Purpose Embracedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for responding Sheila.

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

1. Figure out if it is a situation you can fix on your own. (From this point on, documentation of actions is entirely necessary.)
    2. Express how you feel disrespected and ask for changes to be made.
    3. If no changes are made and the disrespectful actions continue, take the issue to your supervisor.
    4. If the supervisor does nothing and the disrespectful actions continue, take the issue to human resources.

Purpose Embracedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your clear and logical steps.

working