jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think it is ok to let your family influence who you date?

1. qtkeeks profile image54
    qtkeeksposted 7 years ago

Do you think it is ok to let your family influence who you date?

2. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Speaking from my US-centric point of view...I think it's alright to let family members have a say, but not be a deciding factor. For instance, I am very close to two male cousins of mine who have been able to give me some very accurate insight into various "potentials" for me, and their input is greatly appreciated. On the other hand, family members who do not base their opinion on actual character are largely ignored. My mom was opposed to my husband based on his age and how I met him alone, and had nothing to do with who he is, and so her opinion did not alter my course. If your family can be trusted to have your best interests in mind at all times, then they should at least be heard on such subjects if you feel the need for some feedback, but they should never have the power to steer you off the course you've decided is right for you.

3. profile image0
    Contriceposted 7 years ago

I don't think it is a good idea to let them influence who you date too much.  Of course you want your family's opinion about who you are dating but just remember the ultimate decision is up to you.  If they treat you like the king/queen you are (because you're so much more than a prince/princess), and if they make you feel good about who you are then you should be cool.  Also, even though your mom, sister, dad, or brother may be your best friend, it is not a good idea to spill your relationship guts to them (like the dumb thing your spouse did that really made you mad).  Lovers tend to makeup, forgive and forget whereas family does not.  Keep somethings just between the two of you (with the exception of abuse of course...but that's another topic)

4. NYKitten82 profile image60
    NYKitten82posted 7 years ago

Honestly sometimes your family is able to see outside the box. When people are involved in a relationship, you can't always see whats right infront of you.

If your family is against who you are with, ask them to give you the reasons behind their choice. Maybe they have vailds points that you make need to look over and decide.

If they just like them because of something simple then don't worry about it. I mean in the end it's you and that other person who spend the most time together and if your happy with them...then well your family should be happy as well

working