jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think this girl is likely to do in her future relationships?

1. mathslover profile image84
    mathsloverposted 7 years ago

What do you think this girl is likely to do in her future relationships?

A 17 year old girl is growing up with a mother who is cheating on her father. She favours her mother more than her dad . Do you think in the future that she would tell herself that it is ok to cheat on someone? I said no because i think she is old enough to know right from wrong and to list cheating as one of the things she would make sure she doesnt do in her life. What do you think?

2. subhasish roy profile image60
    subhasish royposted 7 years ago

the way you have projected the girl, it seems you are right in saying that she is gonna cheat some day. but neutrally thinks may be different. we usually see what we are made to see. but there is always 8/9th part hidden under water of an iceberg. did you evaluate that?

3. lina-marie profile image53
    lina-marieposted 7 years ago

well,it's hard to say.Things that happen to minors may have a greater effect then we even imagine.She may be old enough ..[so we would assume],keep in mind a brain is not complete until approximately...age 21.If the person has ever had any type of disorders..they may also play into par with the decisions she will make.i do not think age is the factor..more so how this change has affected her..and what type of personality ..she portrays...everyone is different..We are all human and we may walk the walk but may not talk the talk...we never know until these situations occur during our lives.

4. jdomingo profile image59
    jdomingoposted 7 years ago

I really can't tell from what you have let us know.  How does she feel about her mother cheating does she know it's going on at all?  If so what does the mother tell her about it if any thing...there are too many missing pieces to put this picture together in my mind but were I to shoot in the dark I'd say probably so if she can see that her father is oblivious to it she may think she can get away with it as well.

5. Shae1194 profile image53
    Shae1194posted 7 years ago

rich because she is going to try so hard to become better than everyone else and leave this world behind... although there is a 50% chance im wrong.

6. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

The family has awesome and still somewhat mysterious power to shape our lives and view of reality. There is literally tons of in-depth research going back to at least the seventies --- which is not to say that one must be a slave to family history, its just something that should be borne in mind.

There are several factors involved: What is the girl's birth order, for example? Whether one is a first born, second born, third born, or fourth born seems to be a factor. We can't go into it here, but if the child is a first-born, she/he tends to identify with the father -- there are sociological/historical reasons behind the development of a patriarchal society.

Second-borns tend to identify more with the mother, for the same reasons. Third children tend to be concerned with the relationship between the two heads of household. Fourth children tend to be more concerned with the unity of the family, etc. And so on and so forth

Now, if the young woman is a first child, I would informally predict that her natural tendency would not be to cheat (as her first-born status would identify her with the father, providing he does not "cheat"), this would be so, I think, despite the fact that she spends much more time with her mother. If she is a second-born (placing her in identification with her mother), I would informally predict that her first tendency would be to "cheat."

Third and fourths, I do not know. I am not an expert in family therapy.

7. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

For the most part, children learn to do the things their parents do. This is even more so when they favor that parent.