jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Military Lack of Communication...Help Me Understand What My Boyfriend Is Going T

1. profile image47
    navygfposted 7 years ago

Military Lack of Communication...Help Me Understand What My Boyfriend Is Going Through...

My boyfriend just got back from being overseas and we talked every day while he was there. Now he just got back a 1 1/2 weeks ago and he has a lot less communication.  When I asked him why the lack of communication he said he has been busy with military paperwork and medical stuff and his internet use varies.  I guess I don't understand now that he is back in the States, how he can't pick up the phone or email me.  What is he going through that I can't understand?

2. lunaraven13 profile image58
    lunaraven13posted 7 years ago

In all sincerity, has he just been living a warzone? If so, he is going through a whole adjustment period of not being surrounded by fighting 24/7.

His first priority has to be getting all of his paperwork and his mind in order before he can focus on anything else. Being loving and patient will help him open to up to you about what his experience was like.

Best of luck.

3. nailinthehead profile image69
    nailintheheadposted 7 years ago

Going through all those medical tests and paper work is a pain and stressful. Guy is just busy and tired. Give him some time to settle down.

4. blackpearl_1999 profile image60
    blackpearl_1999posted 7 years ago

Being overseas and away from loved ones isn't easy. Depending on where he was he probably has some things he will need to sort through in his mind. He might have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Try to talk to a psychologist about it. I would suggest just googling one in your area. They chat with you over the phone for free most of the time or give you a direction to go in if you want help to understand your boyfriend.
    I was in the military for 15 years and I can tell you that life is not easy. People do not understand what we go through on a day to day basis. 15 years may not seem like a lot of time to a lot of people but I can honestly say it felt like 30 years of my life gone. Despite the perks and I cannot complain about them they do not outweigh the things you have to go through when you serve. By all means I am not complaining but just giving my own personal observations of military life.
    Don't be discouraged and try to hang in there. Do all you can to make the relationship work but also remember it takes two to make the relationship work just sometimes it is 50/50 and other times it is not.

working