jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why Do Married People Wear Wedding Rings On The Fourth Finger Of The Left Hand?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

Why Do Married People Wear Wedding Rings On The Fourth Finger Of The Left Hand?

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

They don't, they wear it on the third finger which is the fourth digit, the thumb is not a finger.

3. drperetz profile image37
    drperetzposted 7 years ago

The right hand is the traditional hand for vows or oaths. A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom and biblical references. The Latin word for left is "sinister", which in addition to this sense also has the same senses as the English word. The Latin word for right is "dexter", a word that evolved into "dexterity". Hence, the left hand had a negative connotation and the right a good one. For the same reason, an oath is sworn while raising the right hand.

The left hand is also used for cultures that believe in the vena amoris or "vein of love" that is believed to be found in the left ring finger.

However, the most widely accepted explanation is that because the majority of people are right-handed, wearing the ring on the left hand makes it less likely to be damaged or lost during everyday activities.

4. FunabashiJ profile image58
    FunabashiJposted 7 years ago

It's a different answer, but you might find this video interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvbLJ9rHMMk

5. tuscun profile image58
    tuscunposted 7 years ago

Actually some cultures wear the wedding ring on the right hand. If I'm not mistaken, this is the case for Russians.

6. Tisha Smith profile image57
    Tisha Smithposted 7 years ago

Fourth finger symbolizes the LOVE that's why married couple wore the wedding ring on their fourth finger.

7. dnarayana18 profile image60
    dnarayana18posted 7 years ago

I think the nerve from the left goes directly to heart.

8. Deerwhisperer profile image75
    Deerwhispererposted 7 years ago

Perhaps you should read my new hub "On Which Hand Should the Wedding Ring be Worn?" I think you'll find it very interesting.

9. JayDee Sterling profile image60
    JayDee Sterlingposted 6 years ago

I always heard and read that there is a vein in your ring finger that goes directly to your heart (love) and that is why the wedding rings are worn on the left hand.

working