jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What kind of marriage ceremonies do atheist couples have?

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image85
    Earl S. Wynnposted 7 years ago

What kind of marriage ceremonies do atheist couples have?

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

civil wedding, by a judge, mayor or the captain of the ship.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

We used a Justice of The Peace.

So did my nephew just last month.  So did both of my daughters.

We are a very ungodly family smile

4. internett1t3 profile image56
    internett1t3posted 7 years ago

Depends on the couple.

Marriage in the US is a completely separate thing than a wedding.

ALL marriages are state-recognized civil contracts between two
    consenting adults with clearly defined rights and responsibilities.

5. TahoeDoc profile image95
    TahoeDocposted 7 years ago

I got married in front of the beach at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. The vows were very similar to church weddings I'd been to...love, honor, cherish, sickness and health and all that. There just wasn't the mention of god as part of the union or otherwise. We had a classical guitarist play before and after the wedding but there were no 'readings' or hymns. Marriage isn't easy, but I took those vows very seriously, but they were between me and my husband. Hope that helps smile

6. cinnamongoddess profile image55
    cinnamongoddessposted 7 years ago

They will choose somenthing that represent their believes,even they do not believe in God they believe in somenthin. Getting married is believe at lest they believe in each other or they called somenthing else.

7. micahjoy profile image57
    micahjoyposted 7 years ago

While many people have their wedding officiated by a member of their faith, it doesn't change the core of what a marriage is really celebrating between two people.

I'm guessing an atheist couple would have a ceremony that celebrates all the wonderful things that marriage is - love, trust, admiration, respect, the promise to be there for each other, to care for each other, the feeling that they've found the person they want to spend the rest of their life with, start a family with....

And isn't all that the most important part anyway?

8. dragonlady1967 profile image85
    dragonlady1967posted 7 years ago

I guess they would choose a non-religious form of ceremony.  However, the vows, even in front of a judge usually are the same as what you say in a church.  My vows were.

9. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I have no idea but I have to assume that it revolves around a civil ceremony that would comply with the legal requirements of marriage, concentrates on committment to each other, and is devoid of any reference to the influences of a higher being.  That's my best guess. WB

10. junomich profile image60
    junomichposted 7 years ago

If marriage was merely about love, they would simply get married with the church or wherever and skip the court house.
    Marriage is contract law for various financial benefits, that is why you need a license to get married and a judge to get a divorce.