jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why do Human beings gossip?

1. elvit profile image55
    elvitposted 7 years ago

Why do Human beings gossip?

I don't seem to get it.

2. theseus profile image81
    theseusposted 7 years ago

personally i ask the same question. but i guess, some people just find it fun to talk about other people, about things and stuff like that.

3. home witch profile image83
    home witchposted 7 years ago

Boredom, not having anything better to do, not being intelligent enough to realise the harm it causes, not being focused on their own self-improvement or life - lots of reasons really.

4. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 7 years ago

I think there is something visceral us within that we take joy in others' misery (some of us at least). I think gossip is a mild form of that. People feel better about themselves and their own lives by speaking ill of others.

5. SteppingForward profile image57
    SteppingForwardposted 7 years ago

I believe some speak without thinking and others crave the drama.  Drama cravers will create drama when none is present.  A lack of sincerity to thy selves and others, I guess.  Having and creating peace is much harder than letting go and letting loose.  This day and age everything is designed to be quicker and lazy promoting along comes lazy people which breeds drama eventually. End result gossiping because one is far to lazy to hold their tongue:)

6. joleenruffin profile image56
    joleenruffinposted 7 years ago

I think it makes us feel better about ourselves when we can talk mess about someone else and that's not a good thing.

7. FloBe profile image82
    FloBeposted 7 years ago

Some people gossip because it makes them feel important. They know something about someone that no one else knows. The excitement of sharing this kind of information is short-lived and it won't take long before they are no longer seen as a trusted "friend" once it comes back to the original person. So, the cycle becomes more intense--the gossiper must find people who will divulge their innermost secrets quickly (usually people who are used to being taken advantage of and are desperate for attention) and then they move on to the next person.
    It is a sad way to live because all their relationships end up being superficial and transient. The choice to gossip will end up leaving the person very lonely and alone once people figure out their true intent.

8. Edlira profile image67
    Edliraposted 7 years ago

1- To divert attention from their own problems!
    2-To fill the emptiness in their lives
    3-Sometimes to feel better about themselves

9. tysanders profile image59
    tysandersposted 7 years ago

We are all guilty of gossip, rather we admit it or not. People gossip for a variety of reasons (I actually wrote a hub about it.... http://hubpages.com/hub/Gossip-Why-Do-People-Do-It). Some of the reasons may include jealousy, anger, lack of intelligence, judgmental or small mindedness or just trying to fit in.

working