jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is there any thing to gain in been a shy type?

1. elordmayor profile image56
    elordmayorposted 7 years ago

Is there any thing to gain in been  a shy type?

Some one told my sister that it is a good quality to a shy person. But i asked, Does shyness has good quality?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

I suppose it depends on the society one is living in. Shyness is often perceived by others as rudeness. In fact, since it is also so socially debilitating, I would not call it a good quality to have. But don't mistake shyness for introvertedness. The two are not the same. Shy people lack confidence and have difficulty in social interactions. Introverted people are confident and are fully capable of interacting with others. They just tend to think more than they talk and tend to prefer to be alone sometimes. Extroverts need to be around others, though many of them are very shy.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

Shy people have to WAIT to be noticed in life. I always side with the person who directs his/her own life by going after what they want. It doesn't mean one has to be "brash". It just means you don't have to depend on someone else.

4. bogerk profile image68
    bogerkposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with being shy. If you are shy, odds are you could live a very peaceful life in the shadows.

But, if you want to make a name for yourself and continue to progress in life (especially in any type of career), I can't imagine being shy to be considered a virtue.

5. profile image52
    Andy the Greatposted 7 years ago

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but it's better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Shy people can make it through life content, but not happy. Shy people make up middle management. Outgoing people can either stay at the bottom or rise to the top depending on their other personality traits.

To answer the question directly, security can be gained by being shy, but ambition cannot. I'd rate it as a more negative personality trait than others, but certainly not the worst. It's something you can change about yourself if you're willing to. The further away from grade school you get, the less shy most people become.

working