jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it better for a married couple to have separate or merged bank accounts?

1. kereeves3 profile image81
    kereeves3posted 7 years ago

Is it better for a married couple to have separate or merged bank accounts?

2. ajcor profile image60
    ajcorposted 7 years ago

I always think that separate is best with maybe one joint account to cover joint expenses....I guess my 17 years as a single mum shows here but it works for me...

3. Right On Time profile image61
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

Separate because that way finances don't get in the way as much.

4. ar.colton profile image83
    ar.coltonposted 7 years ago

I think that every couple needs to decide what is the best option for them.

For me, married to the man I've been with since I was 15 just one account is plenty.

But for a lot of couples, especially ones that get married after their careers have been developed 2 is the way to go.

I don't think there is one good answer to this.

5. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

That is an important question, isn't it? I think the way we answer reveals much about what we think of marriage. I know most people, especially "these days," would say that the practical and sensible thing to do would be to get joint accounts.

After all, in the event of a divorce or separation we wouldn't want to have any confusion about "who brought what" to the marriage financially, would we? Perhaps separate accounts are very logical, sensible, and practical.

The only thing is I think separate accounts are a terrible message to send each other at the start of a marriage. And yes, I know how high the divorce rate is these days, in the U.S. and I suppose its rising elsewhere.

Still, I am a romantic I guess. If you can't trust your spouse (aside from your mother and other blood family) who can you trust? It just seems to me that two people should not enter into marriage with a eye, simultaneously, on an escape hatch -- which joint accounts are, in a way.... to my way of thinking at least.

6. Dawn Tate profile image61
    Dawn Tateposted 7 years ago

Both.  The merged account for bills and the household and a separate account for "mad money" in case you want to buy your spouse a gift without them knowing how much you paid.  Just let your spouse know if you take money out of the joint account and put it into your "mad money" account.