jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can I get my 12 yr. old son with ADHD motivated to do his homework?

1. profile image47
    jengraefposted 7 years ago

How can I get my 12 yr. old son with ADHD motivated to do his homework?

2. Jan Fowler profile image60
    Jan Fowlerposted 7 years ago

Hi there! Having a child with ADHD can be quite a challenge, these are some things that I have heard and some I have tried with my son with a bit of ADD. Have him do some fun and very phsycal activity immediately before doing his work, it can help with the focus. I gave him omega 3 capsules everyday as a supplement. This helps the brain to focus and aids in memory. Some people say that a 1/2 a cup of coffe can actually help with focus but I have never tried that. Also, a teenage tutor can sometimes be a help, especially if your child likes them and wants to impress. Good Luck to you.

3. Joyye profile image55
    Joyyeposted 7 years ago

You must reduce his sugars and sweets such as lollies and improve activities will help him concetrate

4. Ciminder profile image58
    Ciminderposted 7 years ago

I was a nanny for a little boy with ADHD and I would motivate him to do his homework by offering him an incentive to get it done.  Sometimes, depending on the situation, I would promise to play a game with him when he was finished with his assignment for the day.  Other times with the permission of his parents, we would take a walk to the playground or he was allowed to play video games for 15 minutes longer than usual.  This way, he had something to look forward to after he was finished with his assignment, and he was more motivated to work hard and get it done.