Do I really have to forgive the past to move forward?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Elizabeth99 profile image60
    Elizabeth99posted 13 years ago

Do I really have to forgive the past to move forward?

They always tell you to forget the past and live in the now, but I want to remember my past-it is what made me. But if I want to be happy now how can I heal myself without forgetting?

2. BenWritings profile image65
    BenWritingsposted 13 years ago

Good question

No I def don't think you need to forget the past

Forgive? maybe...

Don't hold too much bitterness or hatred. But dont pretend it didn't matter

the past is the road that led to our current destination

:]

3. Shelby Alyn profile image61
    Shelby Alynposted 13 years ago

This is a difficult question to answer just right, but I'm going to give it a try anyways.
    The past is what made you, but if you continue to hold on to the negative it will just make you weak. What makes you strong is looking forward to the present and the future, and the good that is to come of it.
    Don't forget everything that made you, but also don't allow yourself to hold on to the hard bits. Look at the past as a positive thing, even the bad parts because they made you who you are.

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 13 years ago

I say to each his own, I really don't believe in forgiving people just to move forward.  That makes absolutely no sense.  Now if the individual that has done me wrong comes and sincerely asks for my forgiveness and I feel that they deserve it, then maybe.  I think people get caught up in how religion looks at forgiveness and believe because jesus forgives instantaneously you should as well.  If it were that serious people would respect Jesus and not constantly do negative things because they know he will immediately forgive them.  At some point jesus gotta get pissed.  No one can forget their past if that was so what purpose would our brains serve.  I feel forgiveness is a earned not just randomly given

5. DIYweddingplanner profile image70
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

Forgiveness is a tricky thing.  It's something I've been struggling with lately, so much so that I went to my pastor about it.  If you read the book of Matthew, Jesus says that you must forgive those who hurt you and do wrong to you.  But you also mentioned forgetting and that's the real issue.  None of us can truly forget what has hurt us in the past and you are right, it does help to shape us into the people that we are.  But holding on to that hurt,  so much so that we can't move on or that we want to inflict that pain on others is like a slow poison.  It will end up killing you if you let it and ruin all the relationships you may have in the future.

The most important thing is learning from the experience.  If you can take a bad experience and find something positive that came from it, i.e., it made you stronger, better, more aware, etc, then you can truly move on.

6. profile image51
    reenaviposted 13 years ago

I would request you to always remember the learning from the past experience without carrying the extra baggage of the irrelevant & needless portion. Life is a journey & remember you don't carry everything thats lying in your house when you go out. You just take what you might need. Do you ever take the stuff which once you were using but is useless now & just lying somewhere in the back yard ? No you don't . So please stop loading yourself with unnecessary baggage which slows you down.
    Have a great life everyday.

7. webguyonline profile image60
    webguyonlineposted 13 years ago

past is also important just as forgiveness, you can move forward if you learn to forgive in the past, just take it as your stepping stone as you face the future. leave the bitterness behind and I'm sure there's a lot of happiness you'll face in the future.

8. Shelvajay profile image59
    Shelvajayposted 13 years ago

It is hard, but if you want to continue to grow as a person, eventually, you will have to forgive and move forward.

On New Years Day 2011, I was angry, hurt and confused because shortly before Christmas, I found out the real truth about a situation that was hidden from me; I found out that a "gift" had been purchased for me, motives and actions had been hidden, and whole truths had not been told, in order that I be held in a spot that I did not deserve to be in, done at the hands of somebody who professed to be my "friend".  This friend wanted to have control that he did not rightfully deserve. 

Today is almost three months later, and I have forgiven and have moved on.  Forgiveness does not always mean all that mushy-mushy, kissy kissy stuff though.  It does mean that you have resolution and closure, so that you can focus on the good that is out there for you. 

So I say that to you to say, this takes time, but whatever you do, find resolution and closure so that you can heal.  Talk to somebody that you trust, this helped me a lot.  I confronted the person that I had a grievance with as well.  This helped me greatly.  I also exposed some truths of my own, via the Spoken Word and the Written Word, and this pushed me really well, to get over it! 

Whatever you have to do to get yourself some healing for yourself is up to you, as long as it is not destructive to yourself or others.  But once you do, you will feel like a Beauty Queen!  I now know what has happened, but it does not hurt nearly as bad as it did in January, 2011.

I hope this helps.

9. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

not in the least. i honestly think if you remember the past, it makes you stronger and give you direction for your future. forgiveness is foolish in my eyes. why forgive someone when all that does is gives that person the right to do harm again without worrying about the outcome.

10. phoenix_028@yahoo profile image60
    phoenix_028@yahooposted 13 years ago

yes forgive and not forget; not forget the lesson you have learned. Forgiveness is one thorn that you need to remove on your road to a new beginning and another is making sure you know the lesson behind it and avoid repeating the same scenario again.

11. dianne143 profile image38
    dianne143posted 13 years ago

It cannot erase the memory of the past but you can by moving on and set goals to your life for future. You have to free your heart from hatred. Why you have to do that? so that you can live a happy life without the issues of past. So when you think of past you can that made you strong it should not make you weak.

12. Taleb80 profile image80
    Taleb80posted 13 years ago

We get pain from many people through our life.
    How we can make a mix between forgiveness & forgetting to manage our life. read more

13. Edoka Writes profile image59
    Edoka Writesposted 13 years ago

Remember but try not to allow your past to hinder your future. Know that each day is new, therefore, create the tone as positively as you can, in an effort to live your life peacefully; because you deserve it.

14. akuigla profile image59
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

It may be very difficult.
    Sometimes is the best way to move to another city and start fresh life.
    Consult your intuition.

15. arb profile image77
    arbposted 13 years ago

Forgiving is not forgetting. Forgiving allows us to live today, with a past we can't forget. Unforgiveness is like holding a rose by the stem. The thorn keeps hurting us. Forgiveness equips us with gloves, the thorn remains, it just doesn't hurt the same.

16. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 13 years ago

If you really want to move forward, you have to forget the past. remembering the past is good to correct the present. it is not forbidden to remember the past but don't dwell on it forever.

17. tamra87 profile image60
    tamra87posted 13 years ago

To forgive the past and forget the past is to different things but people used them as if they are not. I think you should remember the past as a life building exerence. Everything that happens if it doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. But I do think forgive the people and the problems is good to. To really be happy you need to release  all angry, hurt feeling and use it as a builing tool.

18. Bronson_Hub profile image61
    Bronson_Hubposted 13 years ago

By letting go of the past you do not sacrifice your self-respect and integrity.  Instead, try to hyper-focus on YOU, your self respect, your self esteem.  Re-condition yourself to feel happy and heal without allowing painful thoughts in the past to creep in just yet.  Once you feel that happiness you had before anything happened to you, letting go of this will be a snap.

Oh, and for the record, this process took me 6 years because I kept dwelling on the wrongness of what was done to me.  When I finally took my power back and focused on doing the things I wanted to do in my life, the things done to me in the past stayed in the past and I was able to see with not necessarily a forgiving perspective, but something where I understand and do not feel anger towards anyone who harmed me deliberately.  It's like they're at the bottom of the mountain now and just a spec on my visual radar.

19. Mark Upshaw profile image60
    Mark Upshawposted 13 years ago

You do not have to forgive anyone or any event in your past to get on with your life. 

You simply get on with it. Focus on things that make you happy and that inspire you to action toward what you desire. Simple.

By the same method  you were interrupted with some terrible event, you may interrupt your current thoughts by creating a new future, the one you desire.

20. Van Lal Hmangaih profile image72
    Van Lal Hmangaihposted 13 years ago

Yes.. It may be very difficult, but for your future success, you have to move forward courageously. In fact, an ability to forgive is the secret task of the winner. The looser can never forgives, rather always has excuse for his failure. We don't really need to forget all. But, there are some we have to let it go as they are.. but some we have to remember ,, yes.. since they are the motivator our future goal.
    More that what kind of bad and dreadful experience that happen to us in the past, what really happen to us right now inside our heart is more important. The way how we choose and decide things, we rather enjoy life or end up life with sorrow.  The choice that we make is very critical... You may not enable to forget the past , but choose to forgive no matter what sort of circumstances it was.. in doing that, the bright future will awaits you!

21. sonia05 profile image61
    sonia05posted 13 years ago

its a difficult question for sure....personally,i believe that forgiving is the first step for healing. If one is not forgiving,one tends to think,harbour a grudge,feel more hurt,get depressed etc etc. On the other hand,if one forgives,one is at peace mentally and can definitely move ahead and future would be better and brighter!

22. poorconservative1 profile image60
    poorconservative1posted 13 years ago

Forgiveness is a great thing and I envy anyone with that attribute. But the history of the human race teaches us several things and chief among them is that we must never forget the past. Because if we do we are doomed to repeat it.

23. TheSenior profile image59
    TheSeniorposted 13 years ago

You are right on one item - the past is what made you who and what you are.  The best thing to do is analyize the past and look at all the good, bad, and so-so events that you did and want thru and caused you to be who and what you are.

I have had to do this and in some cases I have had to either stop or modify some of what I was told to do.  Some of it has been painful but most of it has been a learning experience.

The rule I go by is if it doesn't really cause harm to other people but they just don't like it - maybe I shouldn't associate with them - however, if it does cause harm to others then maybe it time to put a stop to it.

You are not going to please all, so just analyze each situation.

24. tbartle profile image60
    tbartleposted 13 years ago

No. To me, forgiveness only benefits the one being forgiven. If their offense isn't forgivable (such as cheating or murder), then they shouldn't be given the satisfaction of forgiveness.

25. Globalintimate profile image60
    Globalintimateposted 13 years ago

Forgive others fault or yours, life will be better!

26. LukeMason profile image59
    LukeMasonposted 13 years ago

Accept what has happened in the past so you move forward in your life. You'll never be able to forget what happens in the past, it IS what makes you, YOU! Your past can help guide in the right direction to choices you make in the future.

27. JayDee Sterling profile image59
    JayDee Sterlingposted 13 years ago

You might as well forget the past, there isn't anything you can do to change it.  You can learn from it.  Remembering your past is not what has made you, the experience you had in the past may have had an effect on you, if you keep dwelling on it, it doesn't hurt anyone but you.

Opportunity knocks and that is no  joke, but happiness, you have to seek happiness, it is all around you but you have to look for it and when you find it, happiness jumps up and says "hi, here I am and it gives you a big hug". Healing does take forgiving and forgetting, if nothing else, you have to forgive yourself.  Typically we are our own worst critics, we tend to be harder on ourselves than we need to be.  So, as they say forget about the past, look to tomorrow and the happiness that it holds.  Best wishes.

28. chrisfer profile image38
    chrisferposted 13 years ago

if you can embrace your past and not be held back then you already forgave it. no, never forget your past. it is what made you who you are. living in the now is about knowing your past but not being held back by it. learn from your mistakes so you will be able to live in the present and not be stuck in nostalgia

29. unknown spy profile image43
    unknown spyposted 12 years ago

Well, for me, past is past. We learn from it. Here's a story about forgiveness that will surely grip your heart. I've read it for a thousand times already and as always, it makes me cry.

http://unknownspy.hubpages.com/hub/I-Wi … orgive-You

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)