jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe that marriage is a lifelong commitment?

1. Rmccain15165 profile image57
    Rmccain15165posted 7 years ago

Do you believe that marriage is a lifelong commitment?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4816822_f260.jpg

2. caltex profile image61
    caltexposted 7 years ago

Yes.  When people get married, they make a vow, "in sickness and in health, 'til death do us part".  That pretty much indicate that it is supposed to be a lifelong commitment.

3. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 7 years ago

It has to be. 'Til death do us part doesn't mean until I get tired of you.  The thing is most people don't realize the significane of that comittment.  The guy typically thinks his work in the relationship is done.  In fact, you work on it every day for the rest of your life. You are comitted to winning your mate over again and again.  The woman typically thinks she can change anything she doesn't like about the guy.  So anything she has reservations about she beleives that she will change.  When you marry someone, you accept who they are.  no one (man or woman) has the right to ask anyone to change for them.  Saying "I Do" means "I Will".  "I Will" accept you as you are.  "I Will" win you over again and again.  "I Will"  make you remember why you fell in love with me.

4. stclairjack profile image84
    stclairjackposted 7 years ago

it seems that it has alwys been in the past, or at least was intended to be.... however these days i seems more of a "till impaientce and greener pastures do us part",....

perhaps we should treet the maridge contract as any other contract and have a time limit at which it exprires and has to be renewd, with the possibility of renegotiations as well as to the terms,.... ??????

1. MarieLB profile image81
      MarieLBposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a sensible idea.  but how long should the contract be?  Ten years, 20?  Then at least the children are nearly grown up!

2. stclairjack profile image84
      stclairjackposted 3 years agoin reply to this

1 year for a start, then 3 years,... like a drivers license?. LOL

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

Yes, I believe it is a lifelong commitment--and that is why it should be entered into very carefully with a lot of thought and planning.

working