jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do you believe there can be commitment without marriage?

1. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Do you believe there can be commitment without marriage?

So many articles, hubs, and books are written offering advice to women in particular on ways to get their men to "commit". In some instances these are people who have been in (long-term monogamus relationships) for 5 or more years. With a divorce rate of 50% or higher clearly saying, "I do" does not necessarily mean "forever". Would you consider yourself to be in a "committed relationship" if you were together for 5, 10, 15 or more years but not married?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6552507_f260.jpg

2. Jenna Pope profile image59
    Jenna Popeposted 5 years ago

Committed, yes. But not legally protected. It's a hard call, I know. I'm on Marriage Number 3, but I don't regret any of it. I have learned a lot along the way and am now very happy.

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

absolutely. my best friend and his lady have been together since 1986 and they are still together today. they are more committed to each other then most people i know.

4. eddiecarrara profile image95
    eddiecarraraposted 5 years ago

Commitment come from the heart, not on a piece of paper or a ring. I have been in a relationship for over seven years, and I love the woman I'm with, and I don't plan on getting married. If you want to be legally protected, get a lawyer, not a spouse smile

5. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

The length of time has nothing to do with commitment.  You can be committed to someone after a month of dating if you want a relationship with that one person.  Marriage makes it official and tells the person you want more than just to be dating or shacking up.  But, marriage won't necessarily make the relationship better.  It's up to the people in the relationship, and as long as they are committed to each other married or not - then it's all good.

1. dashingscorpio profile image86
      dashingscorpioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

ReneeDC1979, Are you saying a couple that has lived together for 30 or 40 years in a monogamus relationship would not be considered a "committed couple" in your opinion? :-)

2. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 5 years agoin reply to this

No I am saying the length of time does not determine the commitment.  The people determine commitmen.  You can be together for 80 years and be committed or 8 months and be committed.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86

I agree it does come down to the couples dedication.However many would say if ithe relationship ends there was no "real commitment".(married or not)

4. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say that - I just think everything has it's season and sometimes relationships run their course.  But, it does not mean you weren't committed.  There's just some thing or some things that you can't work out and parting ways is best.

5. dashingscorpio profile image86

Excellent point! If time means nothing, Is it possible for someone to be “committed” for the night, weekend, or a week? :-) Awhile back I wrote a hub on this subject. http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … itpossible

6. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 4 years ago

I think that it depends on how you define "marriage." If marriage is the piece of paper that the state gives you to confirm that you've taken vows to one another, then marriage and commitment have very little to do with one another. State-sanctioned marriage cheapens the meaning of the commitment involved and makes it far less sacred.

If marriage is the agreement to commit to one another in a monogamous relationship for an extended period of time (in some cultures as little as a year, in others for life), then marriage and commitment carry the same meaning to one another, and any committed couple is therefore, in essence, married.

Can a couple be committed to one another without a piece of paper? Of course they can! And that has nothing to do with the amount of time that they have spent together; It has everything to do with the amount of devotion they show to the relationship.

working