jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you ever think about being in another persons shoes thinking there life is be

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 7 years ago

Do you ever think about being in another persons shoes thinking there life is better than yours!

2. Davorunner profile image81
    Davorunnerposted 7 years ago

Another persons shoes, yes for perspective. thinking THEIR life is better? No, each person is given a certain amount, and it is up to each person to decide what they will do with it. Someone with more can do more, but if you can't manage what you have, then how can you even fathom having more?

I think that if you have the time to think about how much better someone else's life is, then you have enough time to make your own life better, you're just not applying yourself correctly.
    Your life is what you make it. Make it what you want, not what anyone else wants.

3. julie58 profile image60
    julie58posted 7 years ago

I sometimes find myself slipping into this mindset then remind myself that we can never seen what goes on "behind closed doors".

What might seem the ideal life may, in fact, be the total opposite. At least with my life, I know what I have and that it's precious.

If someone's not happy with their lot, are they doing anything to change it?

4. youmeget profile image76
    youmegetposted 7 years ago

No! Not at all. Why would I do that? I would rather forgive myself and look for ways to make life better. Do you know what they are covering with  the smiles. Not every body washes their dirty linen in public so to you things are fine with them, but it is not.

5. chloe's hub profile image57
    chloe's hubposted 7 years ago

before.. but now im confident and satisfied of my life and what i am now... its a matter of accepting who you really are... and there you will be loving yourself even more...

6. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

Lol I believe that is a mistake so many people make without understanding there are repercussions.  You have no idea what is really going on iin that individuals life.  You don't know what "crosses" they may have to bear neither what issues they have (concealed very well with a smoke screen).  But instead you envy and basically hate them.  I once heard someone say never walk in anyone shoes but your own!

7. TimMEy profile image80
    TimMEyposted 7 years ago

Theoretically it is a nice thing to be somebody else for a moment but I definitely disagree that other persons life┬┤s might be better than yours.

For Instance I always wanted to be a professional Footballer but I know thats a lost cause for me and I know that those guys have their own problems too. So their life is not "better". There are always downsides in everybody┬┤s life.

8. livingsimply profile image59
    livingsimplyposted 7 years ago

Never.  For me this is very dangerous ground and should be avoided at all costs.  You can never know what is really going on in other people's lives.  That said, I am not against empathy.  I loved the 'teachings of Atticus Finch from 'To Kill a Mockingbird' who tells his children that you can never understand someone fully unless you step inside their shoes and walk around.  These moments give us glimpses of other people's experiences and these glimpses should help us be a better person.  But think other people have 'better' lives - Never.  Hard enough to concentrate on my own.
    Great question - many thanks

9. TheSloneGal profile image62
    TheSloneGalposted 7 years ago

Think every one does this at some point or another in life. We all do this when things are down on us but then when things pass we would not want to be in any ones shoes but ours.

10. chaunatye profile image61
    chaunatyeposted 7 years ago

I think everyone does secretly, I mean I don't think that there is a person out there who doesn't envy some famous person, even if they won't openly admit it.
    I am fortunate to have a pretty stable home life and am happy with it, so there really isn't anyone that I know personally that I would want to trade shoes with.

11. titobay profile image68
    titobayposted 7 years ago

Believing that someone's life is better than yours is a sign of low self esteem. For me, I do admire success 'cautiously' (you never know how some people achieve their success) but genuine ones get my admiration and I align with such as role models. I set target for my own achievement but ENVY? Forget it. We all have our paths to toe. We all have our individual potentials, the more you push yourself towards achieving your goals, the more successful you become. Why not be the one others wish to be in her shoes rather than wishing for somebody else?

12. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

When I was younger I did that, but now I realize I have a very nice life and am content with it.  The older I get the more I realize there is always something going on behind closed doors in people we tend to envy.

13. sir_tallest profile image64
    sir_tallestposted 7 years ago

TELL yourself whatever you want but the fact is that man will always believe someone else is better than him.....a simple working class man wishes he was a rich celebrity....like his former collegue.......the celebrity who is to feel he has everything would wish he was the president of the most powerful country in the world.....and the president wishes he was God and could rule forever......as long as man wants more...he'll think the one that has it is better than him

working