Positive thinking: Do YOU think that it can make your life better? Make you happ

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Relationshipc profile image79
    Relationshipcposted 11 years ago

Positive thinking: Do YOU think that it can make your life better? Make you happier?

I'm interested to know how you feel about positive thinking. I know some people think it works for a happier and healthier life while other people don't.

I am a fan of positive thinking, but I want to know how my fellow hubbers feel about it.

2. profile image0
    PedroFernandesposted 11 years ago

Positive thinking puts you in a completely different mindset, one in which you're much more aware of all the opportunities life gives you to be happy and successful.
    Pessimists are so embroiled in their own negative thinking that they miss these.
    On top of that, scientific research has come to the conclusion that positive thinking boots your immune system leaving less vulnerable to disease.

1. profile image0
      PedroFernandesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a common belief that a optimist never experienced suffering in his life! Everyone experiences suffering at some point in their lives. This comes from someone who spent years feeling miserable on account of having hypochondria.

2. Relationshipc profile image79
      Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are so right! I've experienced this. Being positive allows me to see the great opportunities around me and take action on them. Being negative causes me to stay stuck in my own little bubble and miss them.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Have you experienced deep depression or PTSD? When you are in the throws of these diseases, it is impossible to think positive thoughts. But, for those who haven't experienced such in their life, it is so easy to judge one for being unhappy. It is their fault because they do not think positive thoughts??

1. profile image0

I'm not mentioning people suffering from such mental conditions. I have all the respect for them. I'm talking about people free from mental illness, who share a negative view of life and of mankind.

Yes, I was also talking about people free from any mental issues; however, this is a very good point. Having a positive outlook (thoughts) may actually not be attainable in some situations.

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Entirely. Thinking positively and enjoying the little things really help you in life.

Thanks for answering lburmaster. smile

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Positive thinking does make a difference, and it's something people should aim to do if at all possible.  It can only make so much of a difference when it comes to some situations.  On the one hand, it can help people get through times/situations when positive thinking just isn't going to make MUCH of a different.  On the other hand, too many people think that "all it takes is positive thinking to be happy".  There are some situations that are just too much, or too bad, to be able to "magically be happy" with positive thinking alone.

Something else about positive thinking that a lot of people don't seem to understand is that it isn't always a matter of never thinking, or saying, anything "negative" about the situation.  It's more a matter of knowing how to work around or put in perspective the realities of the negative situation.  Too many people think that if a person says anything less "positive" than, say, "puppy dogs and daisies", that person is "too negative"/"isn't positive".  Positive thinking is about managing the negative stuff - not "living in la la land".

People who have never been in a situation bad enough that it just isn't going to be cured/helped by positive thinking often tend to believe that because they've always found positive thinking useful in getting them through their "less severe" situations, positive thinking can fix everything and just make everyone happy.  So, while it's certainly, as far I'm concerned, something everyone needs to try to do; people shouldn't be deluded into believing that it makes all problems, loss, and/or grief go away (or even, in some cases, lessen even a little).

I had a friend once who had some serious sadness in her life.  She took anti-depressants because of it.  YET, when I talked about some of the serious, sad, things; she had the nerve to say, "Don't you sometimes think it's sometimes a matter of having a positive mental attitude?"  So her "legitimate sadness" got the drug treatment.  Mine got the suggestion that I should think more positively.  (imagine a mean-face emoticon here    lol  )  A whole lot of people are guilty of that kind of thinking.  hmm

1. profile image0

Exactly my point! Positive thinking isn't a magical bullet. Then again, negative thinking doesn't bring confer any advantage to our life. Positive thinking isn't miraculous, but it helps to focus our minds on solutions rather than problems.

Thanks for a very insightful answer and gives a lot to think about.  "Positive thinking is about managing the negative stuff - not "living in la la land" - Excellent way to say it.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image88
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. "people who have never been in a situation bad enough...tend to believe positive thinking can fix everything" Personally, I'm perplexed by the popular propensity to be persistently positive smile  It endangers empathy.

6. ChristinS profile image36
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

All I know is when I was a miserable person who felt like a victim in life, that seemed to be what kept happening.  I would have more bad experiences, have more negative thoughts, and soon all I was doing was dodging bullets and expecting the worst etc.  It became a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I was not empowered. I was just a victim to circumstance etc.  I gave my power away to circumstance, did not accept accountability for my own happiness and continued to spiral into deeper depression and other issues. 

When I made up my mind to change how I think and become a stronger, better , well adjusted person everything in my life turned around.  I felt in control of my own destiny, I was grateful for what I had, my health improved, I had incentive to look for opportunities and push myself.  I woke up feeling good about my life despite whatever was going on around me.  I still face challenges, but I feel better able to meet them and that gives a sense of satisfaction.  That's the power of positive thinking - it gives you power!

What we think we tend to believe and what we believe becomes our reality.  Think and act in positive, empowered ways life improves.  At least that's been my experience smile

I agree Christin. We are in control of our own happiness and when we choose to focus on the negative side of life how can we expect to experience positive things? That has been my personal experience as well. smile

7. Mystique33 profile image71
    Mystique33posted 11 years ago

I think that positive thinking and faith goes a long way. I know that not everyone believes in a higher power and I don't want to sound like a religious freak, believe me I am not. However, I was recently going through a difficult time and I said this simple prayer, God restore the things which are already mine, today I am happy, today I am wealthy, today I am in love, today I am no longer in dept, today my struggle is over, today I am the person you created me to be. The day after I prayed this prayer, I started to see my life turn around. I know this might sound crazy to many of you but for me it made a big difference in my life. Whether it was God working behind the scenes or weather things started to turn around because I truly believed they would is debatable. Regardless, it made a big difference in my life. Try it say the words, believe what you are saying and see what happens. Either way, positive thinking does really effect the outcome of your life.

It does not sound crazy to me, at all. The power of prayer is amazing. I think that prayer helps us to focus on the positive because in a way we 'let go and let god' with our problems and then start to focus on solutions.

8. howtobeasuccess profile image69
    howtobeasuccessposted 11 years ago

Yes of course,i Positively think that Positive thinking can lead to a better and happier life. First of all, we do not have control on what will happen in our life. So to say that i you are doing something to prepare yourself on troubles and problems in life is somehow wrong. What you can simply do in LIFE is to think positive that you will be able to overcome the uncertainties that life will give you.

Those who think Positive could also think easier and rightfully even stressful moments in their life leading to better decisions.

Great way to look at it! Instead of dreading future issues, be prepred to handle them.

9. kozmo profile image61
    kozmoposted 11 years ago

Put it this way--it's a lot better than the opposite.  I believe that if you can look for the positive in any situation it helps you overcome negativity.  Negativity can bring you down so very fast.  If you try to stay positive even in adverse situations it is important to have others around you with the same frame of mind.  It is so hard to stay positive while those around you are complaining and voicing their negative opinions.  It is said that one must void of the toxic people in your life.  Staying positive is in my opinion the only way to get through.

I agree. I have removed some negative people from my life because they were consistently negative about everything. Having positive people around you in life is a blessing.

10. Billie Kelpin profile image88
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

Positive thinking is helpful; even science has proven that. (I listen to Hawaiian music just to cheer myself up because cheerful is good). HOWEVER,  I must add that I am actually sick and tired of the modern twist on positive thinking that seems pervasive among my new acquaintainces, especially here in CA.  Everything is always "great".  No one has children they're worried about or discusses bills they can't pay, or personal health they're concerned about.  Everything is working out fine for everyone. Heaven forbid they would get me down by expressing a negative thought about their lives (I'm grateful for their selfless act of shielding me, but it doesn't help me feel close to them. Attention, you don't have to protect me from your pain.  I might be able to help. Of course, I in turn, don't feel I have permission to pour out my worries in their presence. So I smile and tell say that my husband really enjoys his 2 hour train ride to work each day and his two hour ride back. I tell them I think he enjoys the socialization -stuff like that.  I have exactly two friends with whom I can be authentic.  Maybe that's why I come to hubpages because no one knows me and at least I can be authentic HERE. Positive thinking is actually driving me crazy. Facebook postings don't help much either.  Everyone's trip was lovely - blah da de blah. So stay tuned for a new hub I've been working on: "Can't We All Just Buck Up: The Art of Walking Among the Persistently Positive." Meanwhile,  I would encourage everyone, while being positive in his or her own life, to find someone with whom you can say, "I'm so disappointed in such or such..." "I'm worried about..."  You don't have to shield the world from the reality of existence. Let's get back to a little authenticity. It is when we are empathetic with ourselves that we can be empathetic to others. And that's my authentic thought for the day.

Passionate! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're so right.  Someone with legitimate negative stuff is left feeling isolated, even judged for not remaining persistently happy - or at least silent and "not toxic to anyone else".  Maybe even blamed for not being happy.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image88
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LisaHW, Thank you for commenting.  I was ready to give up on writing my article which actually is supposed to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but didn't seem to resonate even with my husband.  But since one person, you, sees a point here, I'll forge ahead.

11. ALwaysShawna profile image61
    ALwaysShawnaposted 8 years ago

I believe thinking positive is a very powerful thing. I was the queen of negative thinking and my life was miserable, I felt things always had to happen the way I needed it to or life was horrible. But now every thing I do I think happier thoughts, I live in the moment and not try to control every moment . I now believe whatever is going to happen will happen. I no longer fell locked up in a cage. Its like I let fear go and allow positive energy to flow in my life. Maybe its just me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)