jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is marriage in the heart or the ring?

1. workload profile image38
    workloadposted 6 years ago

Is marriage in the heart or the ring?

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image95
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 6 years ago

I would hope for everyone that their marriage is in the heart. A ring on the finger without the marriage in the heart is nothing; a piece of metal. In the long run, no ring will make anyone happy. A good marriage on the other hand will. I'd wear a piece of string on my finger to symbolize the marriage in my heart. And if marriage isn't in the heart... forget it.

3. workload profile image38
    workloadposted 6 years ago

you have a good point there.thanks for passing by

4. JEDIJESSICUH profile image80
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

The heart, definitely. I didn't even get a ring until four months after my husband and I got married. I'd originally proposed to him and our wedding took place when he was on leave from the army, less than two weeks after we'd gotten engaged. A ring is a material possession. If marriage existed on the premise of how nice or beautiful or perfect a ring was, a lot of marriages would be over by now.

5. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Quite definitely in the heart. My husband likes to joke about, "I have a piece of paper and a strip of metal that says you're mine," but we both know that they wouldn't mean a thing -- and wouldn't have come to be -- if the heart weren't involved first. There was a time, and it still is in some cultures, where marriage was a business contract more than anything else -- a contract for children, economic security, and a partnership in tending to the home property -- but that is not my culture, and it is not how I went into my current relationship. For us, it's just a bonus that children and top-notch business partners have resulted...without the love, we wouldn't have been able to weather the trials to keep these scraps of metal on our fingers.

6. misiuloaf5 profile image59
    misiuloaf5posted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, for some people, it's in the ring. Which I feel is wrong! It should always be in the heart. Never in the ring.

working