jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you believe humans were meant to be Monogamous? How do you feel about Polyamo

1. Obsidian Drift profile image80
    Obsidian Driftposted 6 years ago

Do you believe humans were meant to be Monogamous? How do you feel about Polyamory?

Many species in the animal kingdom are not monogamous. Many people and cultures also practice polyamory. Though Monogamy is what is most commonly practiced, evoked or "desired". Did humans evolve to be Monogamous? Or is this just a product of Culture?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5526765_f260.jpg

2. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

I don't have a belief of either, I accept monogamy.

3. Smart is Good profile image60
    Smart is Goodposted 6 years ago

I believe that humans are meant to experience different partners in their lives but once you have settled down I believe you should respect the relationship and love with your significant other. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable practicing polyamory. Wouldn't have various partners at once, to me it's disrespectful but I won't judge the ones who live that way. Interesting question.

P.S: What you said about animals is soo true, but unlike them...we are rational creatures. If you talk about the instinct then..that a whole other story

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Monogamy is a life style choice!
    Humans were given "free will".
    It's almost like asking if humans were meant to be vegetarians.
    We have the power to live our life as we see fit.
    If you don't want to have sex outside of your relationship you won't. If you do want to have sex outside of it you will. Nothing and no one forces you to do something you don't want to do.
    The key to life is knowing yourself. If you know deep down that you could never spend the rest of your life having sex with just one person then you should not make a promise to do so. Life is a personal journey and not everyone has the same desires nor the capacity to live a particular life style choice. We have to be honest with ourselves before we make promises.

5. Obsidian Drift profile image80
    Obsidian Driftposted 6 years ago

Thanks for everyone participating in the pondering of this question. It is just something has always been interesting me; the decisions we make about the way choose to show our love; our relationship(s) with others...

Smart Is Good...very true the point you brought up between making a rational decision or following one's ingrained instinct....maybe the next question should be are we humans biologically ingrained with the need or desire to be monogamous? Or is their in fact a instinct within us that draws us towards forming multiple "bonding" or "loving" relationships with others? What do you think about rational versus instinctual?

working