jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you consider monogamy part of human nature? Or a social construct?

1. hpedneau profile image74
    hpedneauposted 6 years ago

Do you consider monogamy part of human nature? Or a social construct?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I would say it's proably more to do with social construct and a nations culture as well as religious teachings. Having said that monogamy is a life style (choice) like being married or single. Each person has the option to choose how they want to live in free society.

3. lundmusik profile image68
    lundmusikposted 6 years ago

monogamy became important when social construct says it is -- many more men than women don't like monogamy, but social mores dictated that women and children should be cared for, and most men can't handle two families in the first place,, monogamy was important when the populations of men and women became fairly equal, and equality among all men and women became more equal,, monogamy tends to exist less in archaic and highly stratified societies with caste or great disparity among the classes,, for instance much of the muslim world.. if you mean monogamy of restricted sexual activity,, or monogamy by legal marriage,, those are two different things, but our societal expectations pretty much lead to the same expectations.

4. DGuerrero profile image61
    DGuerreroposted 6 years ago

I believe it more so has to do with social construct. If you look back to the earliest stages of human development/evolution, neanderthals for example, it was within a males nature to spread his seed and reproduce. We see this today amongst animals who simply breed over and over, not for pleasure, but because it is within their nature. Although some animals, penguins for example, have been known to have life long partners. Another interesting and more recent study that you would probably have some interest looking into, is one that suggested hormone levels within men decrease when they become married or have kids. Some scientist have suggested that this decrease in hormone levels is/was natures way of "calming" down a man who now has a wife and kids, so that he can support and protect his family. A theory suggesting that in early stages of life (teen/young adult years) hormones are so high in order for us to seek out and find a mate, and once this is achieved we are hard-wired so that our hormone levels drop. Allowing early man to in some way commit to a monogomous relationship.

5. Alecia Murphy profile image79
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on what you consider to be human nature. Essentially many people define human nature as something that is negative and hedonistic. In current society,  monogamy is considered outdated by some, precious by others, and a choice regardless. Research and science has shown that monogamy leads to a longer and healthier life, but still it depends on what you believe and how you apply it.

6. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

I've seen monogamous animals of every description, and since we're of the animal kingdom, I think it may be a little of both:  Nature as well as social reasons!

7. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 6 years ago

Actually, the best relationship science proves that we are designed to be in close, healthy, long-term monogamous relationships (also known as marriage).

What's really hard to tell, is if marriage is more spiritually, emotionally, psychologically, physically and developmentally (in every sense of the world) more protective for woman, men or the children of married vs say, just cohabiting or single parents.

8. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

As a basic instinct sex is very high on the priority list to us as a human race. It is said that the average person needs a sexual encounter at least once every three days. The only reference point I can go off is animals. Some species like certain species of penguins will stay monogamous their entire lives, yet bonabo chimps are known to have threesomes and mate with basically any other chimp they can find.

working