Is there an easy way to get over a recent breakup?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Alma Cabase profile image57
    Alma Cabaseposted 12 years ago

Is there an easy way to get over a recent breakup?

I recently broke up with my longtime boyfriend. It happened two months ago but I still can't get over it.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6037273_f260.jpg

2. SimpleGiftsofLove profile image71
    SimpleGiftsofLoveposted 12 years ago

There is a piece of grief that happens with every broken dream or disappointment.  I used to think the formula was that for every year you were together, it took a month for each year.  Like a 3 year relationship should take about 3 months to get over.  But it depends on the depth of the relationship.  When a person is betrayed and their heart was all in, there is no formula.  I give myself permission to cry, because when I don't, my pain goes underground only to resurface later.  I go walk, or go to the gym, and start exercising and before you know it, even in the exhaustion afterwards, I begin to feel better.  When I feel better I think better.  Everything happens for a reason, even though it doesn't feel like it now, something new is on its way to you that couldn't happen because you were occupied.  Wait for it, and find peace in who you are.  The picture is beautiful, and so are you!

3. Paul Bisquera profile image61
    Paul Bisqueraposted 12 years ago

Alma, the only way to recover from your breakup is to "throw yourself" into your work or hobby or family/friends' activities and so on!

Keep your mind BUSY so that you won't have to think about "bad things" or have the time to conjure up "bad memories." 

Turn off the radio (so that you stop hearing those "love songs" that you and the partner had a relationship) and put in your "HAPPY CD/mp3 songs" instead.

Schedule events in the next few days like a hike or meeting up with a friend/family member at a restaurant/mall/park or go on a trip somewhere.   

Spend more time with your loved ones and please talk to someone when you are feeling down.  It's good to verbalize your problems rather than keeping them inside you. 

If things get worse, please see a counselor/therapist for help. 

Good luck, Alma, and let me know how you're doing.

4. Alma Cabase profile image57
    Alma Cabaseposted 12 years ago

Thank you very much for such inspiring words. We were together for almost four years and the pain just keeps coming back. I really hope you're right that there is something better that awaits me.

5. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 12 years ago

Get over it, another one will come along, just like London buses.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

This man was a part of your life, a part of you.  It will take time, lots of time.  Keep busy, try not to dwell on the past and move forward.  It might take a year or more but you will see daylight again.

7. pajamazzon profile image60
    pajamazzonposted 12 years ago

The best way to get over a bad break-up is start dating again

8. THEHuG5 profile image60
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

You'll get over it. It just takes a lot of time apart. There is no easy way but the best thing to do is to have absolutely no contact with him at all. Delete his phone number, unfriend him on facebook, and everything else. You'll get over it little by little and in a year you'll be at the point where you rarely think about him. Focus on other things for now.The first 6 months after a long time breakup are always the hardest. Good luck smile

9. DannyMaio profile image59
    DannyMaioposted 12 years ago

Hello Alma,
    Everyone goes through this. It sucks but you have to think on the bright side, If it was meant to be it would be, If not you did yourself a favor. You heard the old saying love hurts, well actually it shouldn't hurt. Every couple has ups and downs and you work through them together, nobody is perfect. Try and keep busy so your mind doesn't keep feeling sad. It will end and you will be fine. Remember when one door closes another will open!

10. Ana Teixeira profile image59
    Ana Teixeiraposted 12 years ago

I actually have a hub precisely about this. I would love to tell you there's an easy way.. but there isn't. Everything takes its time.. and trust me.. it's better this way. I have been through a break-up also.. not long ago... and that's why I decided to write the hub. I'm not a psychologist... but here is a bit of my personal experience.

#1 - Love yourself

#2 - Don't deny it

#3 - break patterns

#4 - keep busy

#5 - don't go on the rebound.

It's how I did it. I hope you find a way to cope.. and remember.. value yourself... above it all! smile good luck!

11. jeanniedoe profile image56
    jeanniedoeposted 12 years ago

I always believe in the saying everything happens for a reason. So if someone goes out someone will come in and hopefully the newcomer on your door will be the right man for you. Be strong and be ready with all the things that will come on your way.

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

I'm so sorry for your pain. Four years is a huge emotional investment. My suggestion would be to treat it almost like an addiction for now. As they advise addicts, don't go near the stuff. This means not calling him, not driving by to see what he's up to, not clicking on his FB page - anything you can do to keep from putting him into your thoughts. Get rid of any symbols of the relationship (photos, favorite CDs, etc.). Either give them away or pack them in a box for a long while.

Having been through it, I will promise you it's true that you'll eventually move forward and have a new (and better) life. I know it doesn't seem that way now, though.

Learn to be happy with your own company. This is often hard for people who are used to being part of a couple. But if you can truly find peace and joy hanging out by yourself now and then, you will feel very liberated. When you get to that point, you'll know you have the strength to be in a relationship only if it adds to your (already happy and fulfilled) life, not because you feel empty without a partner.

I'm sending you some cyber-hugs and prayers.

13. profile image52
    Eccentric Natposted 12 years ago

Stay as busy as possible and surround yourself with friends and family. Before you know it, each day will get a little bit easier.

14. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 12 years ago

This man was a part of your life, a part of you. It will take time, lots of time. Keep busy, try not to dwell on the past and move forward. It might take a year or more but you will see daylight again.

15. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 12 years ago

Talk to someone who would not just listen but will understand and help you forget. Even they will not say the right word of comfort to you, their listening ear and their understanding heart is good enough to ease the pain of your broken heart.

Don't isolate yourself, talk about it. Don't hold your tears, cry for it. Wait a little more and time will heal your broken heart

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)