jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why should / shouldn't a man (the father) have a "say" in how a pregnancy is dea

1. K9keystrokes profile image91
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Why should / shouldn't a man (the father) have a "say" in how a pregnancy is dealt with?

2. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

Because it's not them who's carrying round the weight!

I think he would have the right to speak up if the mother were putting their baby at risk in any way.

And I do think that he should insist on moving the furniture that she insists on rearranging 2 days before the due date.

It's not easy being pregnant and a non-pregnant man will never be able to comprehend why a woman needs carrot sticks to dip into her chocolate milkshake at 3am!

3. Kevin Hogan profile image60
    Kevin Hoganposted 6 years ago

That is my whole point, he doesn't, have any biological part in the pregnancy, but he is expected to, as smzclark says, "rearranging the furniture", it is a non-biological contribution to marriage and child birth that a man makes. So how can he be equal, be made equivalent to the female's biological contribution, what guarantee does he have that these non-biological contributions will allow him to have his family if the woman is not sexually loyal.

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

Dealt with?!?!?  Oh Wow I thought you dealt with problems and pests

5. mbyL profile image82
    mbyLposted 6 years ago

I think there is no reason he should have a say anyway as long the mother isn't jeopardising the baby. The mother is pregnant and even though she might have any crazy ideas (like dipping carrots in chocolate milk at 3am as its stands in one of the comments) the man should simply accept and help her as much and good as he can. In the end, the mother is carrying the baby and giving birth and in my opinion the father shouldn't act difficult and just help her (them).

6. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean from a legal standpoint, like if the mother wanted to terminate the pregnancy, or if the father wanted her to and she didn't want to? If he is still in a relationship with the mother, I'm sure he does have a "say," about most things, just not the deciding vote.

working