Is there ever ta time when abortion is acceptable?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (28 posts)
  1. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 10 years ago

Is there ever ta time when abortion is acceptable?

I thought I knew my answer to this question until I googled the word abortion and clicked images. Now....not so much.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8309669_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

Don't expect a succinct answer on this one.  This is one of most emotionally debated questions in the world.  It's the sort of question which has people turning to violence if the other party doesn't agree with them.  Some would say, "Yes, depending upon circumstances."  Others would say, "No, not under any circumstances."   But whether or not you say one thing or the other, it's my belief that until you're in the position where it relates directly to you, e.g. your the one expecting the child, you are not qualified to make that decision.

Many of the people who advocate, "No, not in any circumstances," are clergymen or women who -because of their vows of celibacy or chastisy will never find themselves in that position.  Yet they have the temerity to tell someone how they should live their lives because, quote "The Bible tells me so."   That is, the words written by someone else give ME the power to tell other people how they should live their lives.   That's one side of the argument.

The other can be just as bad, a sort of flippancy about the fetus which will inevitably develop into a child if allowed to continue on.  "Oh, take a pill - get rid of it."   This, usually by someone who might have to shoulder some responsbility or be inconvenienced if a child comes into their lives.

So what is the answer?   There is no general answer.  My view - for what it's worth - that decision should always be left to the woman who is pregnant.  She may seek counsel.  She may turn to others for advice.  But the final decision must be hers.   The baby being carried inside can't do it.  The would be mother, or mother-not-to-be in this instance, must make it.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The most logical and intelligent response around!

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

I think most people would agree at least that those raped should not be forced to carry if they become pregnant and those who will lose their life if they continue to carry should be able to. I know that there are a few who disagree, but I'd like to think the majority are capable of using rational thought for at least those two circumstances. All the rest of the situations are none of my concern.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

For me because of my faith, I feel abortion is not acceptable unless the life of the mother is in genuine danger.

5. profile image0
    Michelle Widmannposted 10 years ago

There'll always be this debate regarding abortion.

But as a woman who does not want children, I would say there are many instances where abortion is acceptable: if rape occurred and the mother cannot give birth, if the mother has medical conditions that she does not want to pass on to her children, if the parents cannot afford to have the birth or support the child, if the parents are aware of the fact that they would be insufficient parents and would neglect their child...

As much as it pains me to see a person take advantage of abortion and kill a child when it could be brought into this world, it also pains me to see children brought into the world that are unwanted and treated in a neglectful manner.

Another thoughtful and insightful answer to the question at hand

6. Au fait profile image85
    Au faitposted 10 years ago

I remember when abortion wasn’t legal and a fifteen-year-old girl a year ahead of me in school nearly died giving herself an abortion with a knitting needle.  Lots of women tried various methods before abortion was legal and some of them died.  I wouldn’t want to go back to those back alley abortionist's days.

Our society makes pregnancy and childbirth shameful under certain circumstances.  While we don’t want to encourage irresponsible risky behavior, at the same time do we really want to encourage abortion?  That is what we are doing when we engage in shaming, or the threat of shaming.

Ideally birth control should be used correctly so that abortion would never be considered, but with so many people believing that being informed about birth control is sinful, how are we to get the information about correct use of birth control out to people who need it?

I have been in classes at my university where young women of legal age closed their eyes and covered their ears lest they accidentally hear something relating to sex in the classroom, because they have been taught sex is evil and worse.

If one is not married, carrying condoms or using the pill, is considered sinful by some people.  They believe it insinuates one is hoping for or planning to have sex outside of marriage.  Do you think unmarried young women want to face parents with this mindset and tell them they are pregnant?  Abortion to the rescue.

Finding a way to discourage irresponsible unprotected sexual activity among people of all ages without making people so afraid to face their parents or society in general when a pregnancy occurs would be a worthy endeavor.   I confess I do not know the answer, but if we all gave it some serious thought, perhaps we could come up with a solution.  I believe it would lower the incidence of abortion, if that is in fact the true goal.

Young girls are going through puberty at younger and younger ages.  My own daughter was 9.   Nowadays 7 is not unusual.  I believe abortion is acceptable when a little girl is raped by an adult in her life and pregnancy results.  It’s hard for me to imagine a little girl under 12 surviving childbirth. 

I don’t believe pregnancy/childbirth should be a punishment for any female, especially when she is the victim of rape or incest.  I don’t think any child should come into this world unwanted, or a symbol of shame for his or her mother.  I don’t believe little girls should die because an adult in her life abused her.

I coulld not have said it better myself.  Thank you Au Fait. This is the MOST INTELLIGENT and LOGICAL answer!

2. Au fait profile image85
      Au faitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you gmwilliams.  I don't believe anyone has the right to force their own beliefs and values onto other people however perfect they believe them to be.  Sometimes there are no ideal, or even good, options.

7. profile image0
    samowhamoposted 10 years ago

Well if a woman chooses to have an abortion its her choice and no ones business if she does or not especially if she was raped, if the pregnancy was the result of incest or if she is to young to give birth. I believe in God and know that the Christian community is not wild about abortion or birth control either but sooner or later the Christian community is going to have to make a choice either tolerate abortion or stop being afraid of teaching their children about safe sex and protection and start teaching them about safe sex and protection.

THANK YOU, in TOTAL AGREEMENT!

8. isaiahkimgoodwin profile image59
    isaiahkimgoodwinposted 10 years ago

I don't believe in abortion, but I think there are some exceptions to this.  I myself had one of those rare situations nobody thinks about.  19 years ago I had my first son.  He was diagnosed with horrible things at 20 weeks pregnant.  I went on for 4 more weeks to get so many opinions, and was devastated.  My son was going to die once he was born in a horrible way, because his spina bifida caused his lungs not to form.  He had no lungs, and nobody could do anything to help him.  He would try to breath and no air could enter into lungs so he would die in fear and pain if I continued the pregnancy.  He had so many other issues on top of that issue.  I would have kept him no matter what, but this one was not something I had a choice. . God was going to take him from me regardless.  I was talked into delivering him at 24 weeks so he didn't suffer.  They injected something into my stomach to stop his heart, and I gave birth to him.  I spent hours with him passed away.  19 years later I still am heart broken over the loss of my oldest son.  I have 5 other children, and we all talk about him openly.  Sometimes life brings you things you can't control no matter how much you want that baby.  Under terms that would be considered abortion.  It was doing something I felt was best for my child.  I didn't want him to suffer, and I didn't want to see him suffer.  I know it would have only been a few minutes, but his only minutes alive would be suffering.  It was the hardest decision of my life.

I have never been raped so I can't speak for anybody who has been.  I wouldn't want any child with a family who would harm them and beat them.  If a drug addict is going to have a child, than I would hope they would do adoption. Even though a baby born crack addicted is born every minute.  I have mixed feelings on this.  I am very very against late term abortion even more than abortion in the first month.

9. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

Yes there are situations where it is acceptable and the reasons can vary greatly.
    All medical decisions and moral decisions should be made only by those directly involved.
    There have been abortions going on for  thousands of years, ever since it was first discovered that it  was possible to cause a miscarriage.
    The results of this have been disastrous to countless thousands, probably millions, of women throughout history.
    What we have today is a safer medical system that can prevent unnecessary suffering and minimize injury and death.
    If one finds abortion objectionable for whatever reason they should support better sex education and means of birth control that eliminate the need for action after the fact. But, for the most part, the very people who are opposed to abortion are the very same ones who don't want birth control or sex education available.
    There will always be debate on the subject, opponents will always push people to see the worst possible images and try to make their claims that they somehow should have the right to control the bodies of women whether they like it or not. That is communism and dictatorship. In a free society all of the people are allowed to govern their own lives in their own best interest, something that only they can decide for themselves.
    I have never met anyone who is pro-abortion but we are led to believe that we as Americans have free will and freedom of choice and can't be controlled by religious zealots or others trying to inflict their beliefs on our lives.

1. isaiahkimgoodwin profile image59
      isaiahkimgoodwinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The most frustrating part is people that don't use birth control. Or think the morning after pill is an abortion or would harm the baby. if someone isn't ready dont gamble and get the morning after pill. To prevent abortion.

2. Borsia profile image39
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We need better education worldwide about birth control.
      Lots of us enjoy sex and don't want children even with BC things can go wrong. Then abortion is the best answer. we aren't obligated to have a child we don't want just because someone else does.

10. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 10 years ago

I have done a great deal of research into the philosophy of abortion.  The child inside of the body is still alive and has sentience.  During the abortion procedure, the child tries to resist and even has a silent scream.

The single only time it would be acceptable is if the child and mother would die otherwise.  If the child would die anyway and there is great risk to the mother, than it should be done.  However, if there is a chance the child will live, it should be taken.

It is not acceptable for a child of rape to be aborted.  It shouldn't be held accountable for its own existence and shouldn't be killed for it.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ben this was very well stated. Does your research give an insight into this trimester concept of Roe v. Wade?

2. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Trimester concept?  Do you mean about abortion in the 1st vs 2nd vs 3rd trimesters?

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I seem to remember that an embryo when poked with needle reacts.  I understand that maybe a zygote has no sensory perception. But somehow a human embryo does at almost the time of sperm penetration into the egg.

4. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure about the details in this area, but I got the information I do know from the Youtube video I put on my hub.  In it, the baby was recognizably a human.

11. aliasis profile image75
    aliasisposted 10 years ago

Is there a time when abortion is acceptable? Of course. And the answer is: when a woman doesn't want to be pregnant, go through pregnancy, and have a child. It's as easy as that. The reason shouldn't matter, it's her personal choice, and it's her body and her life. No woman should ever be forced to go through an unwanted pregnancy. Especially when the fetus is not much more than a clump of cells, that can't think or even feel pain.

Of course the answer to reducing abortion is spreading awareness and education about birth control and safe sex. And trying to eliminate a culture where men rape women. But safe abortion practices will never, and should never, be eliminated - mistakes happen, rape happens, and health complications happen.

1. Borsia profile image39
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All medical decisions should be made solely by those directly involved.
      Disclosing anyone's personal medical information by any means should be a felony with a minimum ten year sentence.

12. wanna know ask me profile image60
    wanna know ask meposted 10 years ago

In the word of my 22 yr old step daughter. I feel the only way abortion is acceptable is if its life or death when it comes to your health. I feel if you have been raped and got pregnant and you dont think you can handle the child you can give the baby up for adoption because babies are a gift. and there are people that would love to have children and cant. so i honestly think that abortion is only acceptable if its life threatening to you.

13. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

If you can tell me definitively when life begins, I can tell you if abortion is ever right.  I doubt either of us will come up with the right answer.

I do know that a lot of people accept other forms of birth control without giving it a second thought and they are probably deluding themselves.

14. thomasczech profile image45
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

I am a firm believer that abortion is murder, plain and simple. When one ends a life, that is murder. Therefore, I do not think that abortion is ever acceptable.

15. Jon Weyant profile image57
    Jon Weyantposted 10 years ago

I would say that if a women was molested or raped she should have the right to abort the baby as it would be a reminder of the hell they went though. I will say that having a abortion should never be taken lightly as it is a human and we can never know if the one we abort is the how could have the answer to stopping cancer one can never know.

16. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

I can't answer for anyone but myself.  I don't condem or condone what other women choose, only they know what is right for them.
    I do believe that anyone who has never been faced with having to choose, should ever speak for someone else.
    It should not be an issue in politics, a man who has never been pregnant or carried a baby to term, should ever voice their opinion.
    In every family the man should have the first child. Then maybe there would only be one or two in each family.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)