What do you do when you find yourself being worn down by negativity?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. kikibird03 profile image59
    kikibird03posted 12 years ago

What do you do when you find yourself being worn down by negativity?

2. kikibird03 profile image59
    kikibird03posted 12 years ago

I don't know if it's appropriate to answer my own question, but maybe my view will spark a thought or two?

I have invested a lot of time into trying to learn how to turn off "negative mental chatter" and not re-run negative ideas in my mind.  You know, like how someone has hurt or slighted you kind of stuff. 

I have read Deepak Chopra and really tried to incorporate his ideas of how to be happy  and how to live now, and I've decided to dedicate my waking moments to only positive thoughts.  It really, truly improves how I feel and it's so freeing.  However, no matter how hard one tries to see only the good, think only the joyful, and sever all bad memories,thoughts, and associations, ocassionally a trigger comes along that challenges one's new mindset. 

Usually, that trigger is someone who is "toxic" and immersed in negativity! If I can distance myself, I do right away!  But sometimes, there are people in our lives we can't put farther than arm's length, and when that happens, we can't escape their negativity easily, and it can wear you down!

3. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

I absolutely have to find alone time to rejuvenate...usually getting lost in a book or a movie will help me reduce my stress and be ready to ward off negativity from others.

4. ljrc1961 profile image76
    ljrc1961posted 12 years ago

I sometimes feel as if I am surrounded by an aura of negativity at times.  My life in general is overwhelming and to others, something they can't imagine living themselves.  So, I feel that I am a good person to answer your question! 

When I feel the black cloud hovering over me I try to sit up straight, take a breath so deep that my lungs and ribs hurt and exhale slowly.  While doing this, I try to reflect upon what brought me to the moment that I am experiencing.  Was it in my control or out of it?  Did I contribute to the drama or am I a victim of it.  Only I can answer these questions truthfully.  No feeling sorry for oneself at this moment.

If I willingly came into the situation (which is often the case for me), then I need to figure out how to get out.  What are my other options?  Can I gracefully bow out and move away from the situation without making others mad?  If I make others mad, is that such a bad thing?  If I was drawn into the situation without wanting to be, I simply make up an excuse to exit and leave graciously. 

For example:  Let's say you and your partner have made plans with another couple.  You meet for dinner and find that your partner and the other man are arguing about something that is becoming unpleasant for you and your friend and is drawing attention from the onlookers.  You try nudging your partner's leg under the table or try changing the subject but it serves no good. 

Excuse yourself from the table and breathe deeply while in the bathroom.  Clear your head.  Then, walk back to the table and say you got an urgent phone call from someone and have to leave right away (a friend is stranded somewhere or someone in your family needs a listening ear) and don't give too much information.  Smile, apologize, hug goodbye and stay positive while exiting.  When in the car, tell your partner that the tone needs to change or you will be going somewhere by yourself later (a movie or a coffee shop ,etc.) if they can't change the mood.  Stick with your promise.

I've come to enjoy watching movies alone or listening to bands at coffee shops or restaurants and find my mood lifts right away. Hope this helps.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

That is a hard one.  In my case the woman I work for is all negativity but would never ever see herself that way.  I try to stay neutral but it is very difficult. Often I just change the subject when she begins the drama and negativity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)