What are your strategies for coping with negativity?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (34 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 10 years ago

What are your strategies for coping with negativity?

2. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 10 years ago

To me the best way to deal with a negative person is to remain positive and kill em with a smile. It doesn't always work though.

3. sherrituck profile image83
    sherrituckposted 10 years ago

It is difficult to help a negative person see things in a positive light.  This change must come from inside the person with the negative worldview.  However, negativity is a poison that spreads quickly.  If I encounter negativity, my strategy is to listen to the other person with empathy if possible and offer help (if help is wanted).  Sometimes you have to tune things out or walk away if things are too negative.  Otherwise, negativity will take over your life.  If see shades of negativity in my own actions and words, I try to make a conscious effort to change my way of thinking before it is too late.

midget38posted 10 years agoin reply to this

yes indeed, it is the readiness of the person.

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

The best way is to clear your own thoughts and think highly of yourself.  When you do this, everything else disappears. You are only disturbed by your own thoughts and feelings. If that is too difficult or if you think others are the cause, then there are other methods: http://srit.hubpages.com/hub/Free-of-Negativity

5. cebutouristspot profile image76
    cebutouristspotposted 10 years ago

By starting to think positive smile Try to see the light as much as possible.

6. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 10 years ago

Be hopeful, put up a stiff upper lip. Don't think of the negatives but of the positives

7. jennshealthstore profile image81
    jennshealthstoreposted 10 years ago

It is not easy to do. It actually takes a lot of will on your own part in order to change negative thoughts into positive ones. Lets face it, most of us have things happen in our lives that will naturally make us think negative thoughts. Sometimes we will even give up, but we have to train our minds to think of the positive things that will come out of the situation. There is usually a lesson behind negative things and when we can learn to accept the lesson and realize that better things will happen, we can start to think more positively.

8. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Smile & discount it.  I coached soccer for boys & girls from ages 5 to 15 and I had to deal with negative feelings a lot.  We are all brought up differently & we all face different experiences in life.  Many of these life experiences breed negative feelings within about oneself and others.

The reason I mention coaching kids soccer is because I took it on as my job as coach, and a parent, to help the kids overcome any negative feelings they had about themselves and others.  I stress to the kids to that they can play any position and then I assess their abilities and work on improving their weaknesses.  It is usually the weaknesses that scare them from attempting to play certain positions.  Once I help them improve, they feel better about themselves & more positive they can succeed.  I also allow encourage them b y telling them what they did right more than what they did wrong.  Kids need encouragement to do well & enjoy doing it.  I find my philosophy differs from some coaches who only choose the kids with superior talent to play first string, all the time & certain positions.  I believe a good coach breeds talent & a positive attitude, (s)he doesn't merely look for talent & discard everyone else.

I also try to stress a positive attitude about the game, the referees & the other team.  I tell the kids to accept whatever call the referee makes & I will as well and just play the game; it all evens out in the end.  I also stress we are playing to win, but we are playing to enjoy the game; to have fun.  And so is the other team, so compete against ourselves, to play better, not to beat the other team. 

This year I coached for the first time after taking a break to watch the game for four years.  I coached a girls U15 team; a group of girls who had not won more than 2 games a season in 4 years.  We ended with a winning season & all throughout the girls were excited to play and everyone got along great and had great fun.  A positive attitude made for a great season.  Fun for them & fun for me.

9. Bishop55 profile image89
    Bishop55posted 10 years ago

For me...
    quickly remove myself from it, and meditate or go into my own thoughts until I can process, release, and move on.  Sometimes it's really hard!  Especially when the negativity comes from friends or family.

10. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

I get outside. Often I talk walks, sit near water, or simply sit/lay in the grass to clear myself and my thoughts of anything that's negative or that's bothering me. I also try to take some time to meditate. I light some incense and a candle, great triggers for the mind to relax, and try to clear my mind. These things have really helped me cope with negativity and stress in my life.

1. savvydating profile image90
      savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good answer, MysticMoonlight. I have found that a candle and incense is a "great trigger."

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you savvydating.

3. midget38 profile image86

Excellent, Moonlight!

11. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 10 years ago

I have started writing short inspiration stories for kids with no element of negativity and really Kids are enjoying short inspiration stories. The positiveness needs to be taught at the tender ages.

Yes!

12. savvydating profile image90
    savvydatingposted 10 years ago

Unfortunately, one has to learn how to cope with negativity, because negative people exists in the workplace (and everywhere else, for that matter). But since we spend so much time working, it helps to develop one's communication skills. That is not to say I have developed all of them, but some techniques do help to deflect negativity
    That having been said, when we experience negativity either inside or outside of ourselves we must 1) recognize it, 2) reject it's untruth, 3) confront it if it is having a destructive impact on you (confront it for the bully it is), 4) realize that negativity is an aspect of life, but it doesn't have to change your attitude, 5) Have self- respect, 6) Do not fight it, but learn to walk through it - so that it is left behind you.

13. CraftytotheCore profile image74
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

As difficult as it is sometimes, I try to see the positive in all situations.
    In a sense, I tune it out. 

In order to move forward, I stop thinking about the negative situation and focus on something else.  This has been effective for me in order to plow through a situation without being bogged down with the bad side of something.

And not dwelling on things is truly the way to move forward.

14. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

My strategies for coping with negativity are: one - not listening to people who are always thinking negative thoughts about everything. Two -try to see the positive of things in people not always seeing the negative sides. Three - Eliminating negative thoughts.

15. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 10 years ago

I am always positive minded and do not allow the influence of negativity. I never get myself into such situation with people who are negative.

16. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years ago

I listen to someone speak who has unlimited positive energy. Prem Rawat says "You are more complete than you will ever know. You have within you the greatest treasure." http://theypi.net/video.php?title=Infin … &id=22

17. BuffaloGal1960 profile image66
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

First, I try to set the example.  If they don't catch on, I exit.  Not for them, for me. No one really wants to be around someone who sucks the life out but sometimes all it takes is for them to hear you speak positively.  Negative people are often depressed people so I hope to have compassion, but sometimes, it's a life-long habitual thing and I can't see much change in their future.

1. RealityTalk profile image60
      RealityTalkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Giving up on people is why there is so many with mental illness. Many people with negative mentalities have reasons for being so. Many of them are looking for help; for some positive expressions from others. Walking away is the worst thing.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image74
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow Buffalo!  I'm really surprised at your answer.  As Christians, we are called to Lift Up !!!  big_smile

18. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

Either ignore them, or playfully play along. This will irritate them.

19. Beata Stasak profile image80
    Beata Stasakposted 10 years ago

The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new, not on fighting the negative, but on building the positive. Socrates read more

20. fivesenses profile image71
    fivesensesposted 10 years ago

Go for a long walk, do some hindu or buddhist chanting or listen to music to take your mind off negative stuff.

21. easylearningweb profile image86
    easylearningwebposted 10 years ago

If a negative thought comes to mind, immediately replace it with a positive thought. Think positive and believe that things can be better. Strive for perfection. If you encounter a negative person or situation, try your best to see the good in the person or situation. If necessary, remove yourself from the negative situation.

Hope that helps.

22. winjoy profile image58
    winjoyposted 10 years ago

I simply cut out negative people and activities in my life and focus my energies on things that make me happy and fulfill my life. It all starts from allowing  good thoughts in your mind opposed to negative. Stop watching negative images on television or the media and allow selective opinions from people to enter your mind. Do activities that enhance your physical as well as your mental progress.

23. Reynold Adade profile image62
    Reynold Adadeposted 10 years ago

negativity is like a virus it mostly spreads to anyone it touches so is positivity and cheerfulness some people are like a dark cold night they suck all your joys away others are like the sun reliable, shining every single day warming up everything in their parts,the funny thing is that we choose to allow either of these people to affect us,if we know what we want and how we want it there is very little someone with a negative vibe like pessimism can do to affect us after all good people sometimes come out of bad homes and bad neighbourhood thats all because they kept a positive outlook on life when you meet a cheerful person think of it as a bonus

24. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

As others here have said, try to turn it into positivity.  We can't run away from negativity but we can turn it around.  If it is someone who is negative try to talk to them and change their viewpoint just enough to allow them to see the positive side.  If it is a negative situation try to diffuse it and turn it into a more positive experience.  In other words look at the glass as half full instead of half empty.

That's true. Life with always be full of curve balls but it is how we respond.

25. desaiamarjeet profile image59
    desaiamarjeetposted 10 years ago

I go blank. Keep that negativity on low fumes of ideas and try to find what is the reason of Negativity or is it really a negativity or your thoughts that made it negative.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)