If you find yourself the "Center of Attention," in a group situation

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

If you find yourself the "Center of Attention," in a group situation

Does this a)make you uncomfortable or b)do you enjoy this or c)have little reaction at all?

2. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 9 years ago

This hasn't happened to me lately, but at one time it was the rule more than the exception. I'm not an extrovert and making small talk in groups was never my forte, but I always enjoyed attention when it was directed toward my talent rather than 'me' as a person.

From youth to my mid-fifties, I had a good singing voice and played piano/keyboard/organ. During many parties and other special events, I was often asked to entertain by playing and singing.  I did so with no hesitation and loved every minute of it! Those are great memories. (Thanks for reminding me of them.)   :  )

fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jaye.....What an interesting tidbit of information to know about you after 3 years!!  How I wish I could have been in the audience!  I can understand loving the attention.  You deserved it!

2. JayeWisdom profile image88
      JayeWisdomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just call me a ham, Paula. So true!

3. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

d) It freaks me right the hell out. 

The only way I can handle being the center of attention is in professional situations when I'm presenting material I am an expert on.  I have no fear of public speaking because my topic is actually the center of attention but when people make me, as a person, the center of attention I want to run away screaming.

When I think "Christmas is coming" I hear it in the voice of the actor who plays the character Ned Stark in Game of Thrones in my head.  People are going to give me gifts while everybody stares at me expecting me to act like I enjoy getting gifts.  Again, my desire in that situation is to exit, stage left at great speed.  I am a hypocrite, though, because I like giving gifts and I prefer to do it completely anonymously.

Kylyssa.....Oh yes.....I hear you!  That's like being the guest of honor at a party and having to open gifts with all eyes on you!!  That calls for going into "actress" mode!  Embarrassing!  LOL.

4. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

Paula, you actually didn't say what kind of "center of attention." Since I used to be in the entertainment business, I love the heck out of it like if I'm telling a story, the bigger audience the better. I wouldn't enjoy it if I've committed an unforgivable faux pas such as calling someone a jerk and in the meantime he or she walks in the door (now I wouldn't do that, would I?).
    Or if something embarrassing happened to me, like taking the tablecloth with me and all the crystal and China crashing to the floor, or maybe something such as happened to a coworker one day in the office. Her half-slip fell down around her ankles and she didn't notice. There she stood in a puddle of tricot until someone pointed it out. She handled it so gracefully, though. She laughed and stepped out of the slip and acted like it was a natural occurrence. Now that type of attention I can do without.

MzB...Took me a while to stop laughing.  Being able to laugh at yourself in an otherwise embarrassing situation, iis a good thing!  We can "think" someone is a jerk...but a microphone is out!!   LOL

5. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11992783_f260.jpg

It ALL depends.  One can be the center of attention in a good way.  Most of the time, this positive attention makes one feel quite confident in his/her being.  However, this positive attention can make some people feel quite UNEASY depending upon their personality &/or psychological makeup.  People who are more privately attuned &/or introverted are usually quite uncomfortable being at the center of attention although it is positive.   

Conversely, one can be the center of attention in a quite negative way.  This type of attention can make one feel uncomfortable at best & totally embarrassed at its worst.  The average person would want to avoid any type of negative attention as his/her reputation eventually will be harmed in the long run.  However, there are those who THRIVE on negative attention; they feel that they have gained some sort of notoriety by being "bad" or "evil", feeling that being at the center of negative attention is better than having no attention at all. In fact, there are people who will do anything to create negative attention in one way or another, they want to defy ethical paradigms, establishing their own inverse ethical paradigms e.g. Charles Manson, Adolf Hitler, &/or other sociopaths/psychopaths.

6. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Grace...An enlightening & philosophical response from you and quite true as well.  I thought immediately of those who have assassinated high-profile individuals.  As bizarre as it may be to normal, sane people, in a twisted way these people were in fact, seeking notoriety.
    I appreciate the thought you have put into your response. Are you yourself confident or shy as the center of attention?  I think public speaking would be a fair gauge in judging this about ourselves, don't you?   
    Thanks for your participation, Grace.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome, glad to participate.

7. profile image59
    DJ Andersonposted 9 years ago

Dear Mrs. Feiffer,

As you well know, I am as shy as a tiny mouse.
    I don't believe I could ever be comfortable being the center of attention.
    However, it has come to my attention that you are jealous of me. 
    A reliable source told me that you were envious because the voices talk to only me.
    Yes, I am aware that I have more than you.  More wrinkles, more weight, more age spots.
    I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are simply missing.
    (Music crescendo here.)
    No!  I do not suffer from insanity; I enjoy every damn minute of it.
    And, I will simply say, the next time you wonder which came first, the ham or the eggs,
    please realize the egg is all in a days’ work for the chicken.  It is a lifetime commitment for the pig.
    Farm out,
    DJ.

DJ..I should have told you this earlier.HP has a psychiatrist on staff who monitors our site for stark raving mad lunatics. He then sends a report to a Mental facility near you. It's been so much fun knowing you.  pls weave me a basket? So long now.

8. bac2basics profile image85
    bac2basicsposted 9 years ago

Hi Effer.
    Lovely to be in touch with you again.
    For me it would depend on the situation and who´s group I was in. Perhaps these days because I have lived alone for so long and am not in company very much , I would feel a little uncomfortable. I did last year when I was with family I hadn´t seen for years, but with friends who I see more often it perhaps wouldn´t bother me.
    I hope you are keeping well dear xx

Hey!  Hi there girl!  Which one of us has been MIA?  So good to see you again.  Let me just say I wish you'd be the center of attention around here more often!!   Happy thanksgiving  & Peace, Paula

2. bac2basics profile image85
      bac2basicsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have jumped ship Effer and active on bubblews these days, much easier to earn a crust there LOL.  Maybe I´ll be back on HP one day, just need to find the right topic to write about, anything other than is a waste of time and effort xx

9. Ben716 profile image90
    Ben716posted 9 years ago

It makes me uncomfartable. I have never wanted to be the center of attention. I kind of do a lot of blushing with my shyness contributing to it. And, I happen to dissapear without anyone knowing where I am.

10. JTRyder profile image60
    JTRyderposted 9 years ago

I hate being the center of attention in any group that numbers more than three. I have had problems in various workplace environments, including the one I currently am employed in. There are always team building exercises and groups and meeting wherein the leader of the group will have others speak in front of the rest of the group. I absolutely hate it on many, many levels. Now, that being said, I have had to help several other employees craft letters and various submissions because they cannot express themselves in writing, which is my preferred medium. I think all management personnel should read "Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can't Stop Talking" to be able to harness the power of those that don't want to be in the spotlight.

Very honest and well-presented response, JT.   I feel your intent and seriousness.  The answers are very interesting to me, in addition to quite surprising.  It seems more individuals feel as you do.  I'd love to do an in-depth study on this topic!

11. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 9 years ago

I wasn't sure if I should answer this question or start basket weaving since I'm a little rusty.  Except for an extrovert (which I don't think I am) , no one really wants to be the center of attention, too much pressure and too much pressure can make your brain explode!
    You have to quickly weigh the situation and determine if the crowd is friendly or not.  If they're lighting the torches your only option is to run.  If the crowd is friendly, grab the bull by the horns and plow through the crowd with a smile on your face and before you know it everyone will be smiling with you. That's what I do anyway wink

Oh my Tillie....you have made me smile!   There are plenty of people who LOVE being the center of attention!  Next time you're in a group, check out who most of the crowd are looking at, listening to & talking to!  It's him or her!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)