jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why does being a feminist have a negative connotation?

1. WiseRabbit profile image83
    WiseRabbitposted 5 years ago

Why does being a feminist have a negative connotation?

One of the methods of keeping a certain social set under submission is to discredit them. Isn't this evident in the association by many people, especially men, of negative characteristics with the term feminist and the role of the feminist in society?

2. profile image0
    Gusserposted 5 years ago

I think feminists have rightfully earned their reputation. You reap exactly what you soe.

3. StephanieBCrosby profile image85
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years ago

Simply put, because not enough men are feminist. When you are in a male dominated society, a concept is not acceptable or positive unless it is approved by the mainstream or those who "have the power." Take the word "Gossip" for example. It was not negative until men wondered what the heck all the women could be talking about as they helped another woman deliver a baby. Something mischievous just had to be occurring.

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

one problem some feminists have , a minority, is that they reverse discriminate and truly dislike or hate men.  This very small minority may be some of the reason for the negative connotation - maybe.  Overall however, I think that people resist change and men have been the ones in control for most of history.  There will be growing pains along the way.  I don't believe feminists are going to be stopped ever - and that's a good thing.  I consider myself a feminist.  I also believe in fairness however and that women and men should be equal, not that we should start tearing men down.  Have you noticed a lot of commercials for example geared to women make men appear stupid? we cringe when looking back on women being depicted as shallow and dumb, but it's perfectly acceptable it seems now to do the same in reverse - that's where I think "feminism" has some challenges.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Feminists should focus on being strong, empowered women in their own right  - not in tearing men down.

5. yyah profile image79
    yyahposted 5 years ago

Agree with StephanieBCrosby. It's because we live in a patriarchal society dominated by men at the highest levels of government and business. Men in power don't want to be challenged and being a feminist challenges all of that.

On a side note, have you read Erotic Capital by Catherine Hakim? I highly recommend it. She does a bit attack of an attack on feminists who are anti-sex and anti-men.

6. Mary Stuart profile image80
    Mary Stuartposted 5 years ago

My daughter considers me to be a feminist because I am so involved with women's issues such as domestic violence and abortion. I don't consider myself to be a feminist because I largely consider feminists to be pretty down on men. I suppose like so many movements it is the really loud and out there members who gain the attention. Sometimes they are not an organizations best representatives.

7. WiseRabbit profile image83
    WiseRabbitposted 5 years ago

Gusser, did you mean sow? At any rate, what in particular do you mean by reputation? I am interested in knowing what your idea of the reputation of a feminist might encompass.I have known many feminists who were wonderful to be around, intelligent, kind and very concerned about the welfare of women.

working