jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever considered that the person you must get over ... is yourself?

1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Have you ever considered that the person you must get over ... is yourself?

2. megni profile image59
    megniposted 6 years ago

Yes of course, all the time. When I've done something I think is pretty good, the first thing I do is look around for someone to agree with me. Actually, if I persist in pushing my point of view or yakking about what I've done, I see eyes glassing over. That tells me to 'get over myself" and  my puny achievements and start working on the big problems of the world.

People are bascially selfish and there's nothing wrong with that, survival is a built in quality. But if they manage to get over them selves and their narrower views, they're in for an enlightenment and a renewed sense of purpose. Our talents are to be used for mankind and not simply to make us feel better about ourself.

I am not necessarily speaking for Miss Barbie Girl but am simply answering a question as if it's asked of everyone, as it should be.

3. missbarbiegirl profile image58
    missbarbiegirlposted 6 years ago

I don't quite understand that question? Are you meaning that i am superficial?

4. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

@ megni: a pat on your own back is sometimes good.

@ missbarbiegirl: not superficial, but when your life is impacted by the presence of someone else, what do you have in your control as means to change how your life is impacted? Those are the tools that I mean when I say "get over yourself," as it is often US who are part of the issue and it is usually US who reacted to the presence of another. We are the only people that we can change and as such, how do we move on without applying change to ourselves? In that sense we get over ourselves and we grow and move on.

5. moonfairy profile image79
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

Yes, sometimes I'm my own worst enemy...I create my own barriers and then realize that I need to knock them down in order to accomplish what I want...I'm in my own way a lot...and I'm a pain in my own #@%&! lol

6. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I'm very others-focused (have to be, I'm a mother), so no.   I'm middle aged, middle-class, and a middle child; so for any number of reasons I think I have a pretty good perspective on how unimportant I am and how "un-seriously" a person needs to take some things.

7. KimberlyLake profile image81
    KimberlyLakeposted 6 years ago

Yes...definitley. Ego is a big problem I think this is the cause of most of, if not all of our frustrations.

working