jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How Do You Handle Long Distance Relationship?

1. smartincome profile image74
    smartincomeposted 5 years ago

How Do You Handle Long Distance Relationship?

If you are in a long distance relationship, I would love to hear your story. smile

2. Bldg an Architect profile image67
    Bldg an Architectposted 5 years ago

It takes commitment and maturity.  You have to work to stay emotionally close to each other.  Scheduling time for each other, sending cards and gifts, and making plans to see each other are vital.  I've been in a relationship that's been long distance on-and-off for two years. 

I've got a hub on this topic if you're interested.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Long distance relationships are intended to be temporary. In other words the couple hopes and wants to be together permanently. They are only apart due to circumstances (college, military, career...etc) Eventually one person will have to relocate at some point for the relationship to succeed. If the time frame for this has not be discussed then the relationship is NOT all that serious.
    Today there are numerous ways to stay in contact via webcam, Skype, phone, text, email, as well as sending traditional letters and cards. It also helps if both people have the means to visit one another periodically. Before we got married my wife and I took turns flying back and forth to have a 4 day weekend (each month). This lasted for close to a year until I relocated to live with her. All along we had the mindset that our long distance relationship was not a permanent situation.
    The biggest challenge for any long distance relationship is how each person deals with loneliness as well as making up after disagreements. One of the reasons many long distance relationships fail is because they don't have the means to see each other enough.
    This is all too common when couples are at seperate colleges. There are many social activities and  parties on a big campus. Very few 18 and 19 year olds are going to lock themself in their dorm room. Socialization leads to friendship and friendship sometimes leads to relationship. Simply put they don't have the maturity to tune out their surroundings or avoid temptation at that age. Being young means exploring and finding one's self.
    As for arugments and disagreements... It's kind of tough to make up by phone, email, or text. You can't seal it with a kiss or a hug. On the other hand it is easy to ignore or be ignored in a long distance relationship if your mate is angry with you. Sometimes if there has been a major fight one person will have to make an emergency visit to patch things up or else the relationship is in danger of falling apart. Best of luck!

4. amanthkr01 profile image76
    amanthkr01posted 5 years ago

Long distance realtionship are always difficult to maintain as it test the strength of your love at every step. I was in a long distance relation with my gf for one than one year but could not maintain it for ever. I have written a hub on the same after analysing my mistakes on the same. I hope it wll help you also.
    http://amanthkr01.hubpages.com/hub/6-se … lationship

5. Candy River profile image61
    Candy Riverposted 5 years ago

I need an answer too. Recently I found my long distance relationship with a girl 2000 km away. We talk about everything online, on telephone. But when we had our first date, I began to find that our relationship was far weaker than that of good friends. And we turned back to be friends. Shit.......God bless me.

6. Kami Grayson profile image60
    Kami Graysonposted 3 years ago

I have often tried long distance relationships, several times as a matter of a fact and each time it crashes to a ugly end. I leave the relationship feeling like it was time wasted. I guess it can work if both parties agree that someone has to make that move.