jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What can we each do to be good roommates whether we live with family, friends, o

1. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 6 years ago

What can we each do to be good roommates whether we live with family, friends, or strangers?

2. jdflom profile image75
    jdflomposted 6 years ago

After having several types of roommates and some extended stay guests, I have found a few things that make life easier when living with someone else.

1. Establish ground rules before you sign a lease.
    2. Make it a point to clean up after yourself in the common areas.
    3. Respect your roommate's privacy.
    4. If you have an issue, discuss it immediately, don't wait on it and let it fester.

3. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

Respect your roommate's space, privacy and property.  Don't take him/her for granted.

4. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

Having open communication about house rules is important, but so are things such as cleaning up after yourself, pitching in when needed, and being certain to pay your fair share and nothing less.

5. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 6 years ago

These are great points!

What about if you were friends with the individuals first?

Twice, I've had it work for me, but once it was miserable and terrible. With my current roommates who I really enjoy, I try to figure out what it is that makes it work, but I'm not really sure! The other two are very close and were before I moved in, and I was friends with both individually before moving in. We've got 3 dogs and a cat, so it might be the mutual love of animals that's done it for us!

working