jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is it true you also marry the family?

1. algarveview profile image89
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

Is it true you also marry the family?

What does this mean to you and have you experienced it?

2. profile image0
    Hubert Williamsposted 5 years ago

In many cases I would have to say that's true.
    It's that way with my wife's family. They love me, too.
    With my family it's different, not like that so much.
    They'll hug you, kiss you, but it's not a warm clutch.

3. MG Singh profile image42
    MG Singhposted 5 years ago

Well I will agree that marriage just does not mean marrying the girl. The family is important, thats the reason in India where arranged marriages are the norm, the family of the girl or boy is given great importance.

4. moiponetsoka profile image69
    moiponetsokaposted 5 years ago

when i married my husband they were  not welcoming because i am black  and not a muslim and he is Indian and very muslim. My mother told be its better when the mother in law shows you that she does not instead of pretending that she likes you in that way you know what you to expect and you can deal with it

5. GDiBiase profile image75
    GDiBiaseposted 5 years ago

When I met my now husband, his large Italian family treated me like I was one of their own right from the start. Its awesome I love them all!!

6. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Not always. It really depends on how close or involved the spouse is with his  or her family. Generally speaking what it means to be married to their family is you will have to share your spouse with them. They were there before you came into your mate's life and will always be a part of their life. Therefore if you don't care for memembers of your significant other's family.... you may want to think hard before marrying.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

For the most part it is true but it also depends on how close your spouse is to his/her family--which can be a red flag if they are difficult.

I did experience it.  My mother-in-law has never liked me for no particular reason. When younger i tried very hard to get her to like me to the extent of not truly being myself when I was around her.  My husband has had problems with his mother all of his life so it wasn't a surprise for her to not like me, it was expected.

We have always lived a great distance from them so while it hurts not to be liked, it wasn't really a hardship for us as we rarely saw them. And my husband was always very protective of me whenever we were around them.