jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Would you ever pretend to not be at home to avoid someone?

1. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 5 years ago

Would you ever pretend to not be at home to avoid someone?

2. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 5 years ago

Yes!  I have definitely pretended I wasn't home to avoid someone.  I can't stand sales people and, every now and then, I've ignored someone I actually know.  With me, it simply pays to call first. :-)

1. Lisa HW profile image72
      Lisa HWposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jeannieinabottle, if you haven't yet been to that question about what you'd do if unexpected guests showed up with the idea of staying for a fortnight or a month, you may want to go weigh in there.   lol

3. Kris Heeter profile image80
    Kris Heeterposted 5 years ago

Yes.  Since I work from home, during business hours, I will not answer the door to a door-to-door sales person.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

I pretend I'm not home every day. Like Kris said, I'm working during business hours, so I don't answer the door. Or the telephone for that matter. I get quite a few sales calls on my cell phone despite being on the do not call list. It's really annoying when I'm trying to write or homeschool.

5. YvetteParker profile image76
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

I rarely answer my door when the door bell rings and no one has been invited or have called to say that they are coming by for a visit.

6. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Oh yes.  Too often someone shows up on the rare days I don't hop right in the shower when I get up. I am not going to answer the door all disheveled and icky.  So I have just quietly closed the bedroom door and waited for them to leave--then jumped in the shower because I feel so guilty for still being in my robe!

7. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

My kids do that. At times, it is best to clarify things in order not to be in such situation. But it depends on the matter itself like if avoiding salesman would be okay by not answering the door bell.

8. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I just saw this question after answering one about what I'd do if someone showed up unexpectedly with the idea of staying at my house for a couple of weeks or a month.  It never would have occurred to me that anyone would ever do such a thing.  Anyway, no point re-hashing that other question and answer here...

Now, to the matter at hand (which, again, immediately follows the question I just mentioned): 

Let me say this:   Yes.  In fact, I may even pretend to have moved out state with my new fugitive, live-in, psycho, boyfriend.  Better yet, I may find a way to pretend that I'd run away from the aforementioned boyfriend, that he was still living in my house, and that he had two mean dogs, a wild and rabid pet squirrel, and a Black Widow spider collection in the guest room.

Oh, OK.  I'll give a more serious answer..  Yes.  My bathroom is a great place to hide whether someone shows up at the front door or back door.  Also, there's been a time or two when I've been on the sofa and not been able to get to the bathroom without someone at the door seeing me; and I've gone the route of slinking into a lying-down-on-the-sofa position, being as absolutely flat as I could possibly make myself, and remaining very silent until whoever it was went away.  (By the way, all that drama for someone who just wanted to sell me some gutters for the house, but whom I just didn't feel like being bothered with.  lol  )

9. Yaduvanshi profile image59
    Yaduvanshiposted 5 years ago

I would rather be truthful and tell guy that I need to ignore him