jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Does marriage mean anything anymore and should it?

1. Academicviews profile image86
    Academicviewsposted 5 years ago

Does marriage mean anything anymore and should it?

2. Elly`Snow profile image60
    Elly`Snowposted 5 years ago

Yes it does and it should! Speaking from personal experience I've chose wrong twice. Also I've been with a few guys who were wrong for me. On the brighter side I have friends that I went to school with that are celebrating over 20yrs of being happily married.
    I don't have all the answers but first and foremost you need to be each others best friend, treat each other with up-most care and concern before moving into the romantic phase of the relationship.
    My current boyfriend and life partner and I meet when we were Freshmen in High School and became friends, after school went our separate ways, 27yrs later reconnected through the magic of Facebook. We messaged back and forth, talked on the phone then agreed to meet. When we did meet we feel right back into the friendship we had in school and it's progressed from there.
    My middle daughter and her husband started off as good friends then moved into advanced phases of there relationship as well. They've been married for a few years now and have a great relationship.
    People need to take there time and not be in a hurry because time if on your side when it comes to relationships!

1. Academicviews profile image86
      Academicviewsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer, I was meaning that what is the point of a peice of paper when you love one another? Whats the purpose of marriage in modern society?

3. brittanytodd profile image95
    brittanytoddposted 5 years ago

People get married (and divorced) for multiple reasons.  Some take it lighter than others.  I can only speak from my experiences and beliefs.

Marriage is a commitment and every commitment should "mean something".  For me, marriage was a commitment that my husband and I made to each other--a commitment that is going to last our entire lives.  We made the decision to graduate from college and get married so there were no regrets.  If we stayed together in the same town, living together, and sharing our income, we might as well get married as we were already making a commitment to each other. 

I see our relationship as a team.  We both work to support each other and make an effort to be together and happy.  Although it is just a piece of paper and a tax break, we are happy that we made the decision because we are now an "official" team committed to surviving together.