What noise do you find most annoying?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Efficient Admin profile image85
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

What noise do you find most annoying?

Are there any noises that really "get on your last nerve" or at least you find annoying and don't want to hear?  Okay I will start my list (as a disclaimer let me add that as I get older I am learning to be more tolerant LOL):

Gum cracking
    Whistling
    Loud TVs and Stereos coming through the wall

P.S. I wasn't sure which category this question would go under. So Part 2 of the question is (if you would like to answer / if not that's okay too): which category would you put this question under?

2. safiq ali patel profile image68
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

At times the sound of trains running down the railway line right next to where I live.

Efficient Adminposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I think that would be annoying, especially if it's in the middle of the night. I used to live next to a railroad track and every time the train came through I would have to close the windows because I couldn't hear the TV!

3. multiculturalsoul profile image70
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

Fingernails on a chalkboard. Because of dry erase boards, this generation's students don't know the sound and how it amplifies in one's spine before bursting through one's neck.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

By far a gas leaf blower. Every fall there is an orchestra of them all around and the sound is so loud and annoying.

Yes I agree, those leaf blowers are obnoxious!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very! smile

3. Sarah Christina profile image69
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree!

5. Preethi Anusha profile image68
    Preethi Anushaposted 11 years ago

Morning alarm  ! Specially on a Monday wink

:-)

6. freecampingaussie profile image60
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

Hearing the Coles - Down down prices are down ALL DAY at work and now Jingle Bells non stop is driving me nuts ......

1. freecampingaussie profile image60
      freecampingaussieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And it was on tv last night as well how shoppers are sick of the same songs played all the time lol !

7. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 11 years ago

That is an easy question:  My answer is Rap Music!!

8. Any Other Voice profile image59
    Any Other Voiceposted 11 years ago

My neighbors getting home at one in the morning, since my window is RIGHT next to their driveway. And, I can't stand the sound of dentistry tools, especially those wretched, high-pitched whirring ones they use at your cleanings.

Yes I know which dental instruments you are referring to - they remind me of the fingernails on the chalkboard more than anything!

2. freecampingaussie profile image60
      freecampingaussieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same - Hate dentist noises - scary lol !

9. cat on a soapbox profile image93
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I dislike repetitive noises like clicking and dripping. My ears are especially sensitive to the bass sounds of TVs and music in the distance. My annoyance intensifies when I'm trying to sleep  because by then I've eliminated all other distractions.

We are on the same wavelength with the bass noises.  That is one reason why I have to have white noise when I try to sleep.

10. Express10 profile image75
    Express10posted 11 years ago

People chewing, popping gum or eating in a loud manner. Some people make noises with their lips or teeth very loudly when eating and I wonder where they picked up these habits.

Yes, I can adding crunching to my list as well.  Especially when someone crunches and slurps their food with their mouth open.  I guess their parents never taught them any manners?

11. Abluesfornina profile image60
    Abluesforninaposted 11 years ago

Singing that is loud and bad or off key.

12. Meradar profile image57
    Meradarposted 11 years ago

People with big and terrible horns, drive you crazy on drive ways leading up to gas stations.

13. Sarah Christina profile image69
    Sarah Christinaposted 11 years ago

People that eat very loudly, fingernails down a chalk board, squeaky markers, leaf blowers, but most of all my newest sound annoyance: the upstairs neighbors that live right above me (I'm in an apartment) CONSTANTLY moving and shoving their furniture, during all times of the night and day. Why are they always having to loudly scoot around their furniture?! There is no logical reason for this other than to annoy and drive me crazy while I try to watch TV.

I so agree with all of the above (no pun intended :-)
      Maybe they will make up their mind very soon where they want their furniture. It amazes me how inconsiderate people can be.

14. profile image0
    Klavdija Frahmposted 11 years ago

People chewing....god I hate this noise. Everytime my boss (who's sitting right next to me in the office) starts eating an apple or something I put my headphones on and listen to some loud music big_smile Don't get me wrong, some people chew just ok, but some are...awful chewers!

I have a crunch and munch person in the cubicle next to me as well and I also have headphones that I use everyday because I get tired of that noise real fast!

15. profile image0
    SkeetyDposted 11 years ago

The most annoying sound to me is fingertips drumming on a desk.  So irritating

16. profile image0
    gagan1106posted 11 years ago

The most annoying sound for me is of alarm clock in morning, that to when it's so cold.

17. James-wolve profile image75
    James-wolveposted 11 years ago

Honestly...I think the  most annoying sound ever is someone eating with their mouth open...slapping their lips the entire time...DRIVES ME BONKERS!!

I so agree on this one! I can't stand hearing the crunching and slurping and lip smacking.

18. Mellyunplugged profile image70
    Mellyunpluggedposted 11 years ago

My answer is: Any sort of scratching sound irritates me to the core

19. Diana Grant profile image93
    Diana Grantposted 11 years ago

I was sitting on an underground train yesterday opposite a man who was listening to music on his earphones.  I couldn't hear the music, but he was loudly tapping a bottle with his finger nails in what I can only assume was time to the music, as he was smiling, staring into space and swaying. It was driving me mad. Everyone around him looked a bit fed up, and I did give him a teeny-weeny glare, which seemed to quell him.

Yes I believe that repetitive nail tapping would get very annoying after a while.

20. Monay Love profile image61
    Monay Loveposted 11 years ago

The most annoying sound is when flies buzz around you. Also, fire truck sirens, ambulance sirens, & power drills. I like peace & quiet. lol

21. Efficient Admin profile image85
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

I have to add another one to my list:  during a meeting (or any gathering of people where someone is trying to talk to the crowd), there always seems to be one person who has to whisper and/or talk to their neighbor in the background.

So I am trying real hard to focus on the person speaking to the crowd and it is very distracting to have someone talking real low or whispering to their neighbor.  This happens in church many times but also happens a lot in public gatherings or meetings.  It's very rude.

1. Express10 profile image75
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is another peeve of mine too. It's rude anywhere but seems to be more so in church.

22. frozenink profile image79
    frozeninkposted 11 years ago

The noise the mosquitoes make in the middle of the night while trying to feast on me!

23. byshea profile image83
    bysheaposted 11 years ago

People chewing with their mouth open..... ugh!!  I can handle the noise when their mouth is closed, but for some reason when they are smacking away at those tortilla chips with an open maw, it makes me want to slap them up the back of their head.

24. Monis Mas profile image71
    Monis Masposted 11 years ago

Constantly barking dog (I have one!), and a loud television.

25. A Little TRUTH profile image77
    A Little TRUTHposted 11 years ago

Fingernails on the chalkboard!

I used to so love scratching my fingernails on the chalkboard in school. 1) The vibration felt so cool running up the bones of my fingers and absorbing into my hands and arms.  2) A large percentage of the kids would be so irritated to the point of insanity that it was hilarious.

I would keep my fingernails at just the right length - not by cutting them, but by running them on the chalkboard at opportune times, but on a disciplined and regulated schedule.  I became expert at instantly honing in at the optimal speed of the hand and angle of each finger for any surface texture.  I would modulate the speed slightly and observe the reaction of those most irritated in the room as feedback in order to maximize the effect.

The newer 30 foot long chalkboards were from heaven - guaranteed to clear the room.  If I did get to the end and there were still some holdouts, I could turn around and come back.  Normally I would just use the four fingers of one hand and be cool about it, but if someone expressed extreme irritation, I would add the other hand in also.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)