How will my same-sex marriage affect you?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

How will my same-sex marriage affect you?

People say that gay marriage being legalised will affect their marriage, or them? I'd like to know how (I will provide my thoughts on the matter later - or look for the Gay Marriage thread on the forum - I answered it there!).

So, I'm curious.  I'm not here to listen to why biblically my same sex attraction is wrong - I want to know what affect my marriage, should I be allowed one, will have on you.

2. windygreen profile image61
    windygreenposted 11 years ago

As for the effect on ME personally, your marriage will have no direct effect on my life.
    As for the effect on the collective masses...

Your marriage will prove that true love does not accommodate boundries- built either of the "norm" or of the opinion of others.  Love breaks through barriers.  It is the unstoppable quest.

Your marriage will represent freedom of individuality-  the ability to define one's self and to be the exclusive owner and operator of what is likely the greatest decision in one's life- that of picking a life partner. 

Your marriage will serve to put the closet in the great wide open.  It will make common  that which has been taboo.  Acceptable  public shows of affection - holding hands, hugging, and kissing- will surpass the restriction that the two involved must be a male and female.

~WG

jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Such a eloquent way on putting it...thank you

windygreenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MP.. Good luck!  I wish you love and happiness and freedom! - just as I wish it for all people  -  regardless of gender, ethnicity, race, background, situation, status, or sexual orientation.

3. dailytop10 profile image85
    dailytop10posted 11 years ago

As long as two individuals, whether they are usual couples or not, vow to love and take care of each other until the end, I don't find any problem at all. I'm not married but I do have a special someone and I believe the legalization of same-sex marriage won't affect our relationship even after we marry.

1. windygreen profile image61

WHAT DO YOU MEAN ""USUAL""COUPLES ???? what exactly makes a couple "usual"??? I know you mean the public's accepted "norm" but... that which makes love "usual" should be bond, mutual attraction,devotion and feelings---not gender!

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Your marriage will have no affect on me period. Just as with ALL couples, I think the intimacy should be kept in your home. As far as ANY couple kissing, fondling one another, etc. This is just rude when done in public in front of children, or anyone in general. In my humble opinion, this is the only way anyone's marriage could affect someone. It just boils down to common sense.

I agree that 'sucking face' (particularly in an eating establishment!) regardless of gender mix is just nasty. However, a hug, a peck on the lips, holding hands - apparently, this affects some people's marriage if it's me + my wife...??????

5. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

I think they are blowing smoke to hide something else.  In the Bible it has lots about Eunuchs (Gay's) and Jesus invited them to be with him.  It was the disciples that did not and they turned them away.  It is in Mathew that this is reported.
    It does not affect me. I don't like the fact that people don't like to see small amounts of affection show to our children.  It has been detrimental to the state of marriages in that if children think it is bad then all signs of affection is bad.  We are or have become a loveless society.  I do agree there is too much that can be shown to others, but hugs and holding hands should be the norm.  People who think differently don't understand the consequences of not allowing love to be poured out and the fragility of the way children perceive it.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like I said Lady G.. It just boils down to common sense. I once saw two men making out in a mall..... This is going too far in my humble opinion.

2. jlpark profile image80

JThomp - and opposite sex couples do that all the time - still have a problem? I don't like OTT PDA regardless of gender mix - a peck is fine, tongue wrestling not so much!

3. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like I said too, a hug and holding hands in public is OK.  Anything more needs to be taken to a hotel or home behind closed doors.

4. jlpark profile image80

Lady G - I agree.  Now, if only my wife thought it was safe enough to hold my hand in public.....unfortunately, even that is too much for some people

5. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

jlpark, one has to wonder what kind of things they have been taught about such things.  It is NOT healthy to put blinders on to love.  That is what we are dealing with in this unhealthy society.  Where is the LOVE?

6. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

People only say  this because they're too chicken-shit to say what they're really thinking... that by you getting married their kids are going to learn its an acceptable way of life. It all comes down to "How dare you teach my child different morals than my own when I am obviously right!" which in and of itself is pretty screwed up because it doesn't take into account children have the right to form their own opinion as individuals... and dare I say pick their own moral standing and beliefs.

I think marriage is an archaic institution whose historical purpose is fading into nothingness. In the old days marriage was to protect women from bearing children to fathers who could potentially just leave her and the child to take care of themselves. Then it turned into a business prospect. Certain families (like royalty) would marry into other socially beneficial families - love had nothing to do with it. Now you could argue marriage is still used to make genealogy a bit easier but just because you're married doesn't necessarily mean the child is your spouse's. Really it only makes inheritances easier.

Today people like to say marriage is an affirmation of the love and commitment within a monogamous setting. If that's what it's all about - great! All the power to you. It won't affect me, my life, or views one iota.

Whew, and here I was thinking "Oh no, what will happen to other people's marriages!?" :-). I like the way you think!

7. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

your same-sex marriage will affect me because if legalized, I will constantly be required to explain to children under my care why people decide to be immoral.

Only if they ask. If not, you're really just over-thinking it for them. I'm not telling you how to raise your children, or what to teach them. Nor do I prevent you from teaching hatred. Yet, you wish to tell me who I can and cannot marry?

Notice you used the words "UNDER MY CARE" - not in my care?  You are obviuosly very authoritarian  rather than loving and accepting..Your children are truly more likely to wonder WTF is wrong with you. You are so narrow-minded and self-rightous.

3. profile image52
      abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

mar·riage  [mar-ij] 
      noun
      1.the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc. Antonyms: separation.

8. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Thought it might be my time for an answer, and what originally thought up this question.

Wanting to know just how my same-sex marriage will affect you, and possibly yours? Already thought of some issues.  Perhaps I may answer these here:

What Does My Marriage Do to You?

Does it stop you from marrying? No.  Will it end your marriage? Unless your spouse is a well-closeted homosexual and married because it was the DONE thing back in the day - No, it won't end your marriage.  Will it taint your family? No.  Will it take away any of your rights? No. Does it enforce what you should teach your children? No.  Does it stop you from having children? No. Will it cost you anything? No, unless you are invited to the wedding, then a gift may be nice!.

My being married to my spouse of 7 years changes NOTHING in your marriage, family, or life.  NOR will it ever. I will never have a say in who, when or how you marry, raise your children, live your life.  You did not have to ask (insert population of your country currently 'undecided' or against same sex marriage) (for me - 4 million) people if you could marry the one you wish to spend the rest of your life with.

Why then, should you have a say in all of that, for me, solely because I am gay?

9. KateWest profile image62
    KateWestposted 11 years ago

How will your same-sex marriage affect me? Easy. It won't. Peace and good luck to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)