What is your stand on marrying more than one partner?

1. Wasteless Project profile image92
    Wasteless Projectposted 4 years ago

What is your stand on marrying more than one partner?

I have recently moved to India, where marrying more than one woman (up to four) is legal with in the Muslim community. While the concept is a relic from the past when poly-marriages should ensure that widowed women would be taken care of in their societies, the modern practice of it seems to be just a good way to marry your new lover when your old marriage has sizzled out... I have recently come across exactly this situation in my relative circle - a wealthy medical doctor just married his mistress - pure disharmony and stress! Do you think it can work or even be beneficial?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I believe cultures that accustom to living a certain way would have a difficult time making changes. In the U.S. for instance we legally allow one spouse at a time. I suspect even in cultures that practice polygamy "individual" personalities can have major effect on harmony in a household. No doubt there must be both happy and unhappy arrangements. The same can be said of those who are married only to one person as well!
    It's probably a common fantasy to wish for two mates to cover all the traits one desires in a single mate which is next to impossible. However I doubt many people (really) want to deal with every aspect that being married to one person would entail.

3. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

In Christian-based societies (like the US), marriage practices have had the chance to build on the right foundation. This is unfortunately not the case in many pagan-based cultures (like India). God's Word the Bible teaches that in the beginning God created one woman for one man. This principle is very clear.