jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think gay people choose to be gay? Do you think straight people choose to

1. jabelufiroz profile image71
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Do you think gay people choose to be gay? Do you think straight people choose to be straight?

2. kereeves3 profile image80
    kereeves3posted 4 years ago

No.  Sexuality is not a choice.  Straight people don't choose to be straight, and gay people don't choose to be gay.  Hopefully people, regardless of sexual orientation, will follow their hearts and do what feels right to them, not what society claims is right.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

No, I can't recall sitting down and "deciding" to be straight nor do I recall flipping a coin. We are attracted to whom we are attracted to. You can't "make yourself" desire someone or be aroused by them.
    Having said that I do believe we choose who we say "yes" or "no" to but that has more to do with one's taste in people than their sexuality. There have been reports of people "experimenting" with both straight and gay relationships but ultimately I believe in the end they settle into what comes (natural) to them.

4. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

I think gay and straight and inbetween people do not choose. Sexual attraction and behaviour is a natural thing. Sexuality is already there, here, in the blood, the genes, the chemicals, the brain, the heart, the soul, the spirit..whatever you think we're made up of.
    Once the initial attraction kicks in then it could be a matter of choice..you know...shared values, looks, social standing, hair colour, that sort of thing.....(.but it's still not the same as buying a car or an item of clothing)...there's the factor X...love, which should still be the arbiter for long term relating.

5. savvydating profile image97
    savvydatingposted 4 years ago

Not at all. For anyone interested, an excellent book to read about this matter might provide some with a bit of clarification... or at least more empathy. The book is Torn, by Justin Lee. I recommend this book to anyone who is on the fence regarding your question.

6. Vlorsutes profile image84
    Vlorsutesposted 4 years ago

In my opinion, the only reason that people say that homosexuality is a choice rather than something that someone is born into it are because they're the fanatical religious types that see homosexuality as a sin, and for God to have created them to be that way would would force them to admit that it isn't a sin (since why would God create something sinful).

7. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 4 years ago

No, I don't think gay people choose to be gay, or straight people choose to be straight. We just are who we are meant to be.

As a gay person, I don't recall ever thinking "Man, that sounds like a good idea! I'll be gay." I do remember realizing what my lack of attraction to men (I'm female) meant. I do also remember deciding I wasn't going to be ashamed of who I was, or who I loved, and that I would be the best me I could be, regardless of what the world tried to tell me.

Do we make a choice in relation to sexuality? No, I don't think we do. We do what comes naturally to us, the way in which we are wired etc. We all do what feels natural to us - straight people are attracted to the opposite sex in a sexual way, and gay people to the same sex. To force ourselves to be otherwise would be unnatural, and has been proven to be bad for one's psychological well being.

8. profile image61
    Christafayeposted 3 months ago

I think i was born gay and transgender but most of my life ive been with women like ive been told all of it was a cover up and now to see that i want to take hormones to become mtf i think it was a cover up but if i am gay so be it ill be very flamboyant

working