jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Are you comfortable lending money to your family and friends?

1. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 4 years ago

Are you comfortable lending money to your family and friends?

They say it's harder to manage relationships when money is involved.

2. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 4 years ago

I have learned never to lend money to anyone.  If someone I know needs money whether it be a family member or friend, if I have it, I will just give it to them without any expectation of being paid back.  You are right in that lending money can be hazardous to any relationship.

1. jpcmc profile image89
      jpcmcposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's so kind of you.  I hope there are more people like you.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I could loan money to my grown children without a problem or their spouses.

But I would not be comfortable loaning money to friends.  If they are reliable people, then they can get the loan from a bank.  If they cannot quality for a loan from the bank then I certainly am not going to loan what little I have.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I believe if you loan money that you can do without getting back then it's much easier. However if that is the case instead of making it loan I would just give it to them. If they insist on paying me back then that is fine.
    For the most part I don't loan money and I try just as hard not to borrow money either. In fact I pay off all my credit cards each month. It took me years to develop that mindset instead of paying minimum payments.

5. My Cute Baker profile image60
    My Cute Bakerposted 4 years ago

No, borrowing and lending can make even good relationships hard
    I tend to just give if I can, if I can't we call it a loan and then I forget about it and am pleasantly surprised when I get something back later
    I hate having to borrow, but sometimes things happen and you are in a situation where you need to. I pay back as fast as possible any time I do borrow, but it still makes things awkward with some people. Some types like to hold things over you regardless.

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Not at all. Why don't they have the money? Didn't they plan ahead? All of my siblings have done the Dave Ramsey program and should know better. As for friends, we don't ask each other for money. Most importantly, what is the money for? If it's for a house, they could just wait and save the money instead of burdening me with pulling it out of my pocket. If they need a vehicle, they could be driven around by a friend or family member. They should have car insurance to handle most problems. Medical bills, read the payment plans again. Student loans, it's only $50 a month required.