jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is it okay to call a guyfriend a term of endearment? I.E. baby, sweetheart, boo.

1. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 4 years ago

Is it okay to call a guyfriend a term of endearment? I.E. baby, sweetheart, boo...

2. TNT Husky profile image71
    TNT Huskyposted 4 years ago

Well, plenty of my female friends call me "hun". I can say it's strange at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Esenbeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, to me it was strange at first because my male friends are JUST friends...I only call guys baby or babe that I like or who I want to date. I've gotten used to it though lol

3. savvydating profile image95
    savvydatingposted 4 years ago

It can be Ok, as long as the term is not used in a "flirty" or manipulative manner. Some women like to keep the male friend hoping for more. She will never admit this to herself, of course, but it happens. On the other hand, some men friends are so adorable, you can't help but call them something sweet. I would ask them, and go from there.

Esenbeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I so agree with you!

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

As long as both people are comfortable with it there should be no problem.
    Having said that the real issue often occurs after one or both of them become involved in romantic relationships. Not many men I know of would want their girlfriend, significant other, or wife to be calling another man (baby, sweetheart, or boo).
    I cannot think of any woman who would want her man calling another woman that either. I personally think of "platonic friends" as being the equivalent of "siblings". The vast majority of brothers and sisters would not call each other (baby, sweetheart, or boo). The very use of those of words indicate there is a "mindset" towards that person that is different from that which one has for a sibling.

working