jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why is love one big illusion?

1. profile image49
    elychemposted 4 years ago

Why is love one big illusion?

Does love really exist? If yes then where if no then why do people fall in love?

2. coleikerd profile image82
    coleikerdposted 4 years ago

Love is one big illusion because everything we know is one big illusion. Love cannot be quantified because to truly love breaks the confines of our finite mortal understanding. But more than that, love is just one part of who and what we are. Does love really exist? If so, it exists in us. If not, because we need something more than just our individual existence to give us meaning. Does that mean romance? It doesn't have to. We often make that mistake.

To steal from Terry Pratchett:

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
    Thanks, goodreads for putting that together. http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/66591-a … ing-humans

3. cebutouristspot profile image76
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

That is a very interesting question.

In my opinion love cant be measure nor quantify.  So what is love then?  A combination of attraction/care/compatibility/completeness/security/etc.  but this differ from person to person and situation. 

e.g.
    A person may love you because of the financial security you bring or A person love you because you care for him.

So to answer your question I think the illusion of love is that way you love you partner may not be the same love you are receiving in return.

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

Its not an illustration. the problem is people think love is a feeling. Like in the movies people fall in love and they have this great passion for each other and everything is magical forever. This isn't reality though. I believe love is more of a commitment. Feelings come and go. That passion you feel for a person at the beginning of a relationship doesn't last forever. How many people have you heard say "i just don't feel the same way anymore"? Of course they don't. Its when you're willing to work through the bad times and the struggles. Its committing your time and energy to others. You can show love to perfect strangers and people do it every day. Its not an illusion when seen this way. Its only seems like one when turned in to a romance movie.

5. BuffaloGal1960 profile image73
    BuffaloGal1960posted 4 years ago

Love is only an illusion to those who accept the "Hollywood" definition which builds expectations of a false love (Soap operas are a good example, that's not real life).

Love is a choice.  A choice is not an illusion.  Love is an action.  Love is a verb and not a noun (to me).

6. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 4 years ago

It's only an illusion for those that have not experience "real love". It's a reality if you have loved... or, someone has love you, better yet you have experience both at the same time.

7. C.V.Rajan profile image77
    C.V.Rajanposted 4 years ago

This hub of mine analyses the subject of love through an imaginary story:
    http://cvrajan.hubpages.com/hub/What-is … -true-love

working