jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Why are women still not allowed to preach in the Catholic church?

1. LindaQ79 profile image60
    LindaQ79posted 4 years ago

Why are women still not allowed to preach in the Catholic church?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Cuz a bunch of guys in Rome who wear funny hats say theyre not allowed to. Or something like that.

3. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Interesting question also  the women in the Catholic church  sit on one side of the church and the men  on their side. The tradition is preserved.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps in some churches. Most catholic churches I've been to do not have this rule.

4. LindaQ79 profile image60
    LindaQ79posted 4 years ago

I think it's because they are still stuck in the olden days. I have left the Catholic church because of it.

1. freeradicalsteve profile image84
      freeradicalsteveposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So if women were allowed to preach you would go back?

2. LindaQ79 profile image60
      LindaQ79posted 4 years agoin reply to this

No probably not. They have too many things I don't agree with.

5. mcbel profile image72
    mcbelposted 4 years ago

Not sure. There's nothing in the bible about preachers, at least from what I've read. Finding problems within a practice such as this is like trying to find the nonsense in a book called 'Nonsense in the Catholic Church'.

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

Right off the top of my head I can't think of the chapters and verses. What it comes down to is that the Catholic church still views the role of priest as a man's job. It's along the lines of the husband is to be the leader of his household as Jesus is the leader of the church. Jesus was male and the leader of the disciples. All of the original twelve disciples were men. They in turn taught men to be leaders in the individual church gatherings. As a side note, I believe this all to be a held over tradition from Judaism - which is the original religion followed by the disciples and some continued to follow many of the Jewish traditions, celebrations, and rituals.

Your question could also be asked to some of the other Christian denominations because there are others which also do not allow women to be preachers, elders, deacons, etc. In my opinion, as long as the person, male or female, knows the Bible, teaches what it teaches, and lives their lives by what they teach, they should be recognized and ordained as a priest or pastor.

7. Jess Marie Clare profile image60
    Jess Marie Clareposted 4 years ago

Because the Catholic Church as a whole is still extremely misogynistic and sees women as lesser beings than men.

working