jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best way to handle gossip and false rumours against yourself?

1. Charles Raka profile image59
    Charles Rakaposted 4 years ago

What is the best way to handle gossip and false rumours against yourself?

2. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 4 years ago

For myself, I always ignore it -- having gone through a divorce from a social circle that LOVES drama, I've definitely had my share of ludicrous back-stabbing. If someone asks me directly about the rumor, I'll calmly give my side of it and then drop it. When I do give my side, I assume that others won't believe me. I also resolve not to care what they believe, and continue living my life in a way that I know is right for me.

Remember that most rumor-mongers are baiting you, trying to start trouble. If you respond in an emotionally charged way, they just got the reward they want and the crap will continue. If you refuse to play, they'll eventually get bored and go on to someone they can stir up.

3. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 4 years ago

Take heed in the truth that you know exists.

I suppose I look at it like walking away from a fight. Only fight if you have no other option. Same here. Why defend yourself from lies? Those who know you will see your actions as truth, not what you say or they say.

Lies do little damage where the truth exists.

4. T-X-2 profile image75
    T-X-2posted 4 years ago

I agree that you should ignore it. I read a quote one time that said, "You can tell more about a person by what they say of others than you can by what others say of them." When someone tries to put another person down by starting rumors, it tells more about the kind of person he or she is than it does about you. Other people often see that over time. Just do your thing and "kill 'em with kindness." It's hard to be rude to someone who is nice to you.

5. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I would say ignore the rumor it can ruin your character but if you don't pay attention to the  gossip it would gradually fade away.

6. KEPitz1005 profile image59
    KEPitz1005posted 4 years ago

Yeah - I agree with everyone else... Ignore it. No sense in dignifying lies with a response because it only creates more useless drama. I hate drama! lol

7. Mahfoudh Muhammed profile image60
    Mahfoudh Muhammedposted 4 years ago

When it comes to false rumours, the people who care don't matter and the people who matter don't care.

working