jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Why do non-LGBT people think they are the authority on the lives of the LGBT?

1. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Why do non-LGBT people think they are the authority on the lives of the LGBT?

I've noticed a lot - here and IRL - that those who are not LGBT often feel that they are the expert on LGBT type information - particularly when it comes to the conversation of choice in the area of sexual orientation. Despite information to the contrary of what they are stating, it is often insisted that they are in the right. Why do you think this is?

2. Marsei profile image89
    Marseiposted 3 years ago

I don't know, but I wouldn't take it to personally.  People who have the nerve to hold forth on that subject when they've never lived and breathed it likely believe they are experts on everything, not just the LGBT community.

It is comparable to me, as a woman, blabbering about what it means to be a man: utterly ridiculous.

1. Marsei profile image89
      Marseiposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"too" personally, oops!

2. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Its not something I take personally, I just find it bizarre!

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

Good question. The only time I give my opinion about the lifestyles are when someone asks me. Since you didn't ask that specific question, I'll keep my opinion to myself. No one should be insisting laws be created against any of it. Straight people don't want anyone telling them how to live so they should keep their noses out of the other people's lives. Heck, a lot of the ones doing the yelling and screaming can't even live their own lives by their moral code. They need to fix themselves.

Exactly! Thanks for your answer Sheila!

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I would argue that religion and bigotry are to blame. Bigotry is the source of their intolerance (for anything new and unfamiliar) and religion is their justification. It's a false 'moral high ground' that can be used to deny people one thing or another. Since religion is handled with kid gloves in a lot of modern countries, these bigoted viewpoints are sheltered from true scrutiny.

You may have a point there.

2. profile image59
      spiritual havenposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Sounds like my mom and the rest of my family.

working