Why do most people, whilst they acknowledge God's existence fail to live for him

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (29 posts)
  1. A K Turner profile image63
    A K Turnerposted 11 years ago

Why do most people, whilst they acknowledge God's existence fail to live for him?

The devil has done everything he can to make people think that he doesn’t exist and yet most people live for him. Most people, though they believe in God don’t live for him. Why is that?

2. kmaskreations profile image58
    kmaskreationsposted 11 years ago

Failure to read and/or understand scripture.  Believing he exists and having a personal relationship with his son can be two different issues.  The belief in the false doctrine of eternal security allows people to continue living in their sins.  By "living for him" we turn from sin and strive to live holy and separated lives according to his Word.

1. MrMaranatha profile image72
      MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

False Doctrine?  What part of Eternal Life is Temporary?

3. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

If you mean Walk With Him, as living for Him, then the answer is quite simple: ego.
    The Adamic Inception was a falling into ego, into madness, into Reason. Man torn to shreds by the very fibers of Knowledge in him.
    To be restored, man must first become proper, kosher, clean versus unclean [literal meaning of devil, deamon], let go of Reason [good-evil] and his ha-satan [literal meaning of adversary, accuser] put in its proper place. Then be renewed -healed- from this amnesia and become the immortal perfection he was created to be. He must let go of this religious/scientific, materialistic world of money, homes, family, self-preservation, worship, rules, laws and so on. Else, like those before him, he will decay and die.
    The Way is narrow, yes, but not impossible nor unattainable.
    James.

4. sroberts9 profile image81
    sroberts9posted 11 years ago

I don't think that the devil tries to make people think he does not exsist.  Infact, I think he brags and boasts about his victories. (Terrorist even announce what they have done and the news media gives them credit and they celebrate.) Those who do evil and live for it don't have a concern for people only the victory.  They  have decided to "take" what they want from whomever.   They have no boundaries. It's what I call "worldy freedom" it's all about the gain - what's in it for me.  I can have whatever I want, or whomever I want, however, I want it or them and whenever I want it or them.  Total control, manipulation and torture all at my will.  I think that living for the Lord is a choice an action in which an individual sacrifices his choice to live by "worldly freedom".  Sacrifice doing whatever he/she wants to do by living by a form of a religious practice and traditions that is pleasing to God.  In a sense, its a form of "fasting" to show God their choice to show they love and appreciate all he did for them.  I believe that those who believe in God and Jesus yet, but don't "live for him" have just decided not to show their love in return with a religious practice and tradition.

5. Mr Archer profile image83
    Mr Archerposted 11 years ago

It is difficult to follow in His steps in the world today. Mankind has become so self centered and has forgotten to care more for others than himself. Some of us still try, but all fall short of the Glory of God. This requires us to set God and others before our own desires, and most cannot do this simple task. Good question to ask; hard question to answer. It is hard to look at ourselves as being substandard in any way, let alone the only Way.

6. daledad8 profile image80
    daledad8posted 11 years ago

Because HE is not real enough to them that they TRUST him...Also most of what HE would have us do is NOT what WE want to do because it involves and consists mostly of caring more about others than our own desires.

7. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

Though people may accept the concept of God or even believe he exists, they usually do not see his relevance in their lives. They get up, have breakfast, go to work, come home, eat dinner, go out for a pint with their mates, come home, go to bed. They have no need for God as they are content with their lives. When they are not content, they usually make efforts to change their situation.

If you want to know why people don't live for God, you have to ask what are the benefits to them for including God. For most people they look at Christians and say no thank you. If you say they must turn to God or he will burn them in hell, then why on Earth should they want to come to a God who is presented as having such a poor attitude to those it is claimed he loves? This Christian doctrine just sucks.

There has to be something beneficial in this life and claims that believers have abundant life doesn't cut it, as the world sees miserable, poor believers around them.

I do want God in my life, but for years it was only because the Church scared me witless with the supposed consequences if I didn't. I have long walked away from the Church praise God and now live in freedom.

By the way since leaving Church I have freely studied and God showed me the devil doesn't exist.

A K Turnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hang on? Abundant life, I think someone is misreading the text, what the gospel teaches is essentially what Churchill said "you make money by what your earn, you make life by what you give." How do you explain demonic possessions? if there's no devil

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

John 10:10
      The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

When mental illness is not understood it gets called demonic possession.

8. Faithful Daughter profile image81
    Faithful Daughterposted 11 years ago

Most fail to live for God because they lack intimacy and a relationship with Him. I feel that reading and understanding Scripture, obedience, and repentance brings us closer to God and enables us to love Him, know Him, and develop a relationship with Him.

9. profile image0
    april hollandposted 11 years ago

Because most people do not want to stop living in sin because they know it will cost them.  You know, like: late night drinking parties, screwing around, drugs, etc.  They don't want to stop "having fun" and "living life their own way on their own terms".  They are not willing to put God first in their life, instead, they acknowledge themselves as the sovereign ruler of their own destiny. 

And besides, everyone knows there is a God.  Even the demons know and tremble.  Yet they will never serve him nor live for him.  Free will is powerful and seductive in our lives.  To most people, it is easier to keep following the wide road to hell than stop what they are doing and start living right.

1. SwordofManticorE profile image68
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The problem is, we all fall from Grace when we try to do it ourselves (including me). This is something most Christians dont know. So to say they dont want to stop having fun is judgemental. Of cource we try, we just dont know to ask for help.

2. A K Turner profile image63

@swordofmanticore, so does that mean I fall from grace when I try to go out and earn my own living?

3. jacharless profile image74
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is too complicated. Simple is the answer: People still believe in this thing called sin, called reason, called good-evil.
      @AKTurner Yes.

4. SwordofManticorE profile image68
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Turner, it depends on how you earn your living.

5. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So you assume that everyone who does not come to God is a heavy drinking, drug taking, promiscuous hedonist?

10. SwordofManticorE profile image68
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

The question depends on what your definition of failure is.

11. Whidbeywriter profile image81
    Whidbeywriterposted 11 years ago

This is a great question, one which I have often pondered about in my own mind.  I believe the reason is that individuals who believe in God do not know God, or choose not to know him intimately, because of what is expected.  The more you know about who God is and what he has done in the past, the more you can fear and not want to be a part of it.  He is all powerful and we are so small compared to him. Also the fact that an individual may not feel they could ever be good enough, or do what is right all the time, those are things people struggle with not wanting to disappoint God so they stay on the fence.  I have given my life over to God and have come to realize that God wants you just the way you are, we are the ones that place the pressure on ourselves to be perfect.  He doesn't want us perfect, he wants us trusting and loving him every day - because then he can change us from the inside out. Hope this helps - blessings!

12. Abzav profile image60
    Abzavposted 11 years ago

If the devil can make people think that he doesn't exist, people don't see the importance of following God or living for Him. People want to live for themselves, but by doing that they are living for the devil instead of God because we are imperfect humans and sin seems fun to us. Even when we try to live for God, we fail daily because of our imperfection. I think a lot of times we get discouraged when we fail and feel like we might as well give up, which isn't true. But it can be hard to keep trying when we keep failing. No one likes to fail. The rewards for living for Him are always worth it, though.

13. MrMaranatha profile image72
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

People tend to be spiritually aware in spurts...  at various times in their lives they go through spiritual growth in the same way their bodies go through physical growth.
    While people are in the Growth stage they do indeed tend towards living what they claim to believe... But once the active growth tapers off... the fires cool down and they begin to backslide... get caught up in personal interests etc.

Without a continual concentrated effort... one becomes slack... or lazy...
    Sometimes even with the continual effort one becomes weary in well being....
    we are warned of this in the Bible...  Also about having forgotten our First Love...

This is the reason that Christians need to make sure that they are not only "Saved" as many put it... .But that they are in fact "Born Again and Filled with the Holy Spirit." ... not just one time... But by being Continually filled and refilled.

The Holy Spirit is the Oil that was lacking from 5 of the 10 maidens lamps in Jesus Parable...
    Oil is not only a light producing fuel.. it is also a lubricant that makes work much easier on the equipment... and makes our lives work much more smoothly... Makes being a Christian allot less work and allot more fun.

The Holy Spirit.. The Oil of our Salvation... helps us keep up our First Love for the Lord... that First Love which inspires us to continue in the good works we need to do...

14. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Degree of difficulty seems to be the most obvious answer. And degree of faith would be next unto it.

15. Team Wiseman profile image80
    Team Wisemanposted 11 years ago

One Word.... Selfishness. They said my answer was too short so I wrote that to take up some space. Lol

16. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Interesting. I am not one to blame the devil for any of my words, thought, or action.  I willl say that I wish I was stonger in a few areas of my life, then it would be easier to live for God in my case Krishna.  I do my best to live and serve God and that is all that I can do. 

This material nature is very stong.  I want to have fun and enjoy life, sometimes it seems like God's rules get in the way.  I am not trying to be offensive just truthful.  It is like the speed limit is 65 mph, but that is not exciting I want to drive 100 mph, that is until I get ticketed. 

It is easier to live for other peole as well as myself, because I could see, hear, and touch another person and get a response.  Where is God to have this interaction?  Does God really need me to live for Him?  The creator of this whoe entire cosmos, galaxies, star systems, planets, moons etc, doe He really need me?
    What do I possibly have to offer except my love.
    Best wishes.

i think it is us who needs to live for him or we become warped

17. profile image62
    ElleBeeposted 11 years ago

I think there are multiple answers for this.

First you could have the agnostic who says God could exist, or maybe God exists, or God exists but not as someone/something we can have a personal relationship with.  That is they might acknowledge God's existence or at least the possibility for that existence, but not really as something particularly important, or something which they feel they need to live for.

Secondly, there could be people who believe in God but haven't put too much thought into it and what it should mean for their lives.  They were taught once upon a time that God existed, and just took the knowledge at face value and never considered whether it was true or what it might mean for their lives. These are the people who fit the "there's not atheists in a foxhole" stereotype very well.  They give little thought too God until they want His help.

Third, and I think this is probably the largest category, is the fallen sinners.  The people who acknowledge God, who want to live their lives for him but fall from time to time.  They may fall away for a long period through doubt, temptation, greed or another negative influence; or they may make little falls from time to time. These are the people who try to follow God but don't always succeed.  How much they try to truly "live for Him" as you worded it may widely vary.

All I know is I definitely put myself in this last category! I believe in God - both in His existence, and in His power.  I believe that my life will be better if I live it for Christ.  But like others I am influenced by the world, by sin, by temptation, by tricks of the devil.  I have been trying an adage I learned from a book by Matthew Kelly, in it he talks about the temptation of sin and habitual sin.  When you find yourself about to commit a sin, or about to do something which would not be "living for God," immediately put it to prayer by saying "God, I love this sin, but I love you more.  Please help me to resist."

18. lone77star profile image75
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Could the devil be ego?

It seems to me that ego is the false self that must die before we can gain everlasting life.

Ego is a hard habit to give up. After all, we've been shackled by it for millennia. As immortal children of God, we've been blinded by it. Ego is darkness, so we need these Homo sapiens eyes in order to see, but only through physical instrumentality.

I have seen through my own eyes, not the crude human ones this body was born with. The seeing only lasted a few moments, but they assured me that I am a spiritual child of God.

I have seen miracles as powerful as Moses parting the sea and felt the warm embrace of the loving heavenly Father. And yet I still struggle against ego.

19. Vinessas profile image59
    Vinessasposted 11 years ago

I believe that people fail to live for him because they are human, not flawless, like God. In our imperfection, we try to master the world around us. We confuse wants with needs. We allow our desires--cars, homes, jewelry--to control us. We live in the sin of selfishness. This is dangerous.

Often we are afraid to lend a helping hand to strangers because we fear that others will take more from us than we want to give. In actuality, every experience of giving teaches us something. In giving of ourselves, we are humbled.

When we fail to live for him, we douse the light in our souls. We must be willing to acknowledge the wicked in ourselves before we can embark upon the path of change. It is this path that leads to eternal life.

20. profile image57
    John S Galvinposted 9 years ago

Religion has been and still is the most successful mass marketing campaign ever devised by man. Every person in the world has been exposed to the concept of a supreme being of various names. When you start comparing and contrasting them, you get a confused medley of beliefs and requirements in and from the God of your choice.
    Religion is a man made phenomenon. The requirements of each religious group are not what the supreme-being wants of you. The requirements of each religion are meant to promote the growth and survival of that religious group. If an individual gets confused then there are schools for reeducation of these people. The purpose of this education is to retain productive members in their society.
    The professional religious community [officials of any religious organization] believe that they have the power to education a human in order to allow that person to distribute the teachings of their God to other less educated humans. This implies that uneducated humans cannot receive communications from their God. When it actually happens they react to embrace the communications while sequestering the individual.
    So, how is the average individual expected to know what their God actually wants from them?
    It is because their God has not given anyone specific instructions as to just what it wants of them! You cannot do what you do not know to do! Yes, there are lots of God's words floating about, and many instruct on how best to serve man, or God's religious organizations, but does that really do what a God wants an individual to do?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)