Is there a real difference between a pick-up line and using an icebreaker?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

Is there a real difference between a pick-up line and using an icebreaker?

Whenever a man or woman (initiates a conversation) with someone they find attractive and want to get to "know them".... If the opening statement is anything other than "Hi, My name is...." would you consider it to be a pick-up line? We tend to associate "pick-up lines" with having a sleaze factor to them designed to make someone laugh but more often than not causes one to squirm. Is a pick-up line nothing more than a bad "icebreaker"? or Does having (mutual attraction) make all the difference in our perception of what is an "icebreaker" versus a "pick-up line"?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8888524_f260.jpg

2. profile image57
    cubsfan1537posted 10 years ago

A pick up line is something that is said that sounds very cheesy or it sounds like something a guy or girl would say to any member of the opposite sex. An icebreaker is something that might be said on a blind date  to relax both people to try and make a nervous situation more relaxing.

dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is (cheesy) in the eye of the beholder? Could cheesy for one person be "hilarious" to another person if they share the same sense of humor or found him/her attractive?  My guess is any statement one uses to gain attention from a stranger has risk.

2. profile image57
      cubsfan1537posted 10 years agoin reply to this

When a guy uses the line i've lost my phone number can I borrow your's that's cheesy and overused

3. dashingscorpio profile image82

That's a classic cheesy line. Nevertheless if a woman thinks the guy is "hot" and liked his tone in delivery of the line she's likely to laugh or at the very least smile. It's seems their attraction to man is more important than what he says. :-)

3. baybpnk profile image69
    baybpnkposted 10 years ago

YES. smile
    Example:
    Pick-up Line:
    "Are you an interior decorator? Because when I saw you, the entire room became beautiful."
    "Are you religious? Because you're the answer to all my prayers."
    "Do you have a Band-Aid? Because I just scraped my knee falling for you."
    "I'm not a photographer, but I can picture me and you together."

Ice Breaker:
    "This weather sucks."
    Talking about something both are watching on the TV or listening to. Commenting on the drink he/she has in their hand.

Ice breakers always have a better chance with me!

Yes, but isn't the intention of the speaker the same? Gain attention? If there's a (mutual) attraction/chemistry & humor any "opening line" works. However I can't imagine saying "This weather sucks" would lead to having a lot of dates though. LOL

2. baybpnk profile image69
      baybpnkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL
      I shouldn't say ALWAYS because sometimes you get a guy who says a line just right and it makes you laugh or maybe it's a line you haven't heard before and it's a funny one smile I guess if a guy strikes out with a line he could just converse!

3. dashingscorpio profile image82

baybpnk, You have a great point about (how) a line is delivered can make a difference. I also believe the (mood) a person is in when they hear it can make a lot of difference as well. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw! :-)

4. Bk42author profile image93
      Bk42authorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To me, when a guy uses a line like the ones mentioned above I feel as if they're playing games & I shouldn't take them seriously. That's just my opinion, tho. smile When I was single I appreciated it more if a guy just came up & introduced himse

5. baybpnk profile image69
      baybpnkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly how I take it, joking around, which is a good opener for friendly encounters. Not so good for lust-driven encounters. Most of the time those kind of encounters are discouraged by me and I would ignore those men or just make it a joke.

4. savvydating profile image89
    savvydatingposted 10 years ago

Having mutual attraction does make all the difference--to an extent. One good line is plenty if both partners are physically attracted to one another. After that, the guy needs to follow up with a solid ice-breaker. Consequently, a woman is willing to place a well executed pick-up line into the ice-breaker category if the man knows how to deliver a good line well, meaning that he must come off like the type of guy who is willing to make fun of himself. You already know this dashingscorpio--if she likes what she sees, she'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But make no mistake, he needs to act fairly normal after that. Mostly, women just need the reassurance that the guy is not a weirdo. Long story short, the pick-up line should be focused on something other than her attractiveness, like his clumsiness or too bright tie... any number of things. This is where the man needs to get creative and know how to make her laugh from her gut instead of making her feel "creeped out."
    Great question.

savvydating, You're right "self deprecating" humor can be a great ice breaker. Courage is required to approach strangers and as you stated after the pick-up line is used if the person illustrates they're normal it's likely to disarm a person. Thanks!

5. Whitney Amechi profile image60
    Whitney Amechiposted 10 years ago

I've never quite thought about this before, but I guess now posed with this question I would say that there is not too much of a difference between the two of them. At best, I would opt to say that a pick-up line is mainly used for the purpose of trying to get to physical with the opposite sex and that an icebreaker can just be for general conversation. However, who is not to say that an icebreaker is not just a very clever pick-up line? Or that a pick-up - as you said - is just a poor icebreaker?

Nevertheless since the general concept of both is to start a conversation with someone that they have some level of attraction toward - no - there is no difference within the concept. There is only a difference within the delivery of either one.

Whitney Amechi, Thanks for your answer.
      As they say; "perception is reality". If the attraction is mutual just about any line will work to break the ice! Most people are turned off by anything that sounds like a "canned" or "rehearsed" go to line.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)