Should there be requirements for someone to continue to recieve child support?

1. profile image55
    Terry Martinposted 3 years ago

Should there be requirements for someone to continue to recieve child support?

For example. Currently, if the person receiving child support decides to work more to make more money they get less from the noncustodial parent.  There is no incentive to do so. So why would they do it? Is it fair to the noncustodial parent?

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I believe the custodial parent should have to do certain things to continue to receive support and to keep the children. If there payments are going through the courts, then once a month both parents should be drug tested. If the custodial passes, they keep the kids. Next I think the custodial should be required to work unless collecting disability. I think there should be receipts of what the child support was spent on and those receipts should have to go to the non custodial parent so he/she can know where their money is going. Finally, if visitation is ever denied to the non custodial parent, custody and child support should stop.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

A lot of child support payments are based upon the salary of the noncustodial parent. A janitor paying child support for two children is not going to pay the same amount as a famous movie star or CEO.
    For the vast majority of households child support will not cover the custodial parent's expenses for the household and everything else involved with the children. Most custodial parents (have) to work.
    My parents were divorced in the 1960s and my father was ordered to pay $75 per month for (three) children. Even back then that was far from "living high on the hog". Oftentimes he would not pay that. Once his check was garnished he quit his job!
    Nevertheless my point is most people could not live on the noncustodial child support payments alone. Only noncustodial parents who are very successful get stuck with paying several thousands a month to keep their children in the lifestyle they were accustom to living.
    Having said that sometimes the law keeps noncustodial parents from re-marrying until after their children with their ex reach 18. A lot of states will review the amount one is able to pay once they remarry based upon their "added household income". Some exes are spiteful that way. They want to know about every promotion, raise, and bonus. They won't hesitate to go back to the court to ask for more.
    Actress Halle Berry has (shared custody) with her ex and was just asked to pay $19k per month! I don't even think the little girl has started school yet! No one child needs that much to be supported.

working