jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should bills be split equally between boyfriends and girlfriends?

1. daydreams profile image98
    daydreamsposted 3 years ago

Should bills be split equally between boyfriends and girlfriends?

My boyfriend thinks because he is a man he should pay for everything when we do out. I think we should split it equally, or maybe I should pay more as I earn more than him though. What does everyone else think?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Whatever works for the couple.
    Generally speaking once a relationship has been established for a while it's normal for either person to treat the other for an outing. If you are living together it makes sense to split the rent and utilities. One of the perks to being a "couple" is both people should end being able to do more things for less money because they don't each have to foot the whole bill every time.
    Having said that this not worth fighting about. If you want you can set aside money for a major getaway or an all inclusive vacation for the two of you.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 3 years ago

You are not married to him and he not to you.  Until them everything should be kept separate.  Neither should feel the need to "share" the expenses until their is some sort of contract made.  If he decided the relationship ends and it is your place...you would be left to pay for everything and vice versa.  Don't get me wrong I am not ever saying that it will end, but just in case...

4. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 3 years ago

In this new world of equality when women quite rightly earn their own money then it is only right to share the costs. At least the offer of sharing the cost should be made. if the other party insists on paying every time them maybe the occasional gift would balance the books.
    There really is no set rules until the business of marriage is entered into!