jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Why is it hard to forget what you want to forget?

1. dghbrh profile image77
    dghbrhposted 3 years ago

Why is it hard to forget what you want to forget?

Have you ever experienced that what you deliberately want to forget is what you remember most?
    Do you think there are ways to overcome this? Any suggestions for ways to forget specifically what you want forget?

2. askformore lm profile image72
    askformore lmposted 3 years ago

Most likely "what you want to forget" is a problem. And your brain/mind doesn't like unsolved problems.
    However, it could be that "your problem" can't be solved (and that's why you want to forget it).
    So what is then the solution? Think about the problem in many different ways, even in some funny crazy ways. The problem will most likely not be solved, but in the end your brain will be so bored by this "game" that it forget it.
    PS: The problem might easier go away if you listen to music while you do the above.
    PS PS: Do NOT use this method if it is a severe mental problem. In such a situation then you must seek professional help.

dghbrhposted 3 years agoin reply to this

LOL, i liked mainly the PS section here. Thank you for your reply here. Its not always a prob that you wish to forget. That may be an experience and even a break up situation ( like in your hub). But you are right as nobody likes an unsolved problem.

3. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

i want to forget but i can't forget because i am unwilling to forget even though i wanted to forget

Interesting reply i must add. Thank you for taking your time here.

4. writingmom profile image60
    writingmomposted 3 years ago

Ooooohh! Good question! I think the reason is because you are focusing so hard on trying to forget, it stays in your subconscious and sits there. This makes it is impossible for you to forget it. You must rid your subconscious of any element of the thought by focusing on something else harder.

Many thanks for taking your time to reply here. I think you are very right in what u said above,

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

You can't focus on "not doing something" without thinking about it.
    Instead of (trying) to accomplish something as a goal allow your mind to wonder to something that (naturally) catches your attention or draws you in.
    For example if you were riding on a roller coaster it's doubtful you'd be thinking about anything else but screaming! Being immersed in anything will take your mind off of everything but what is in front of you.
    Some people can do this by going to see a movie, reading a book, listening to music from their iPod with their eyes closed, attending a gathering of some kind with people you enjoy, tour an attraction, having sex,....etc 
    The goal is to focus on things and not trying to stop thinking about things..

Very good idea indeed. Thank you very much for taking your time to reply here.

6. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

Your question is like getting rid of Samskaras. And the process is the same, that is to say, in the beginning you will meet resistance. Old habits die hard and I suspect your situation falls in the same category, my Sweet.

All answers ultimately lie in prayer; in meditation. I will be cheating you to tell you differently, even  more so as you're my Friend.

A life of daily, regular and disciplined Sadhana, accompanied by self-control and selfless service, will help you much. Hari Om Tat Sat!

Thank you my friend @ Manatita ...for your insightful reply here. I cant agree more with you.

7. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12017273_f260.jpg

It is "on your mind" or it is "weighing" on you or perhaps you are "stressed out over it." All of these phrases "come to mind" via our brain's primary way of remembering called association. Thus the primary issue may perhaps be association for you. Thus, it is not just simply the memory but also all of your mind's associations relating to this. You must work on erasing all of the associations also...

Impressive opinion really. Thank you very much for your kind reply here.

working