Why are relationships so hard?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

Why are relationships so hard?

It is so easy to begin dating, but maintaining what you want and what he/she wants is the hard part.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7417509_f260.jpg

2. krillco profile image85
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Because people do not have the right information on how to carry them out; they never learned or learned erroneous things from either their parents or friends, or worse yet, they learn from TV how to be in relationships. Knowing where to go to get the right information on how relationships really work is key, yet many refuse to do so. Asking your friends about how to be in relationship, or even reading 'popular' articles in magazines is like having your friend set your broken arm....stupid. Read this: Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch.

ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks krillco for your comment.  I will check it out thanks

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Because everything worth having takes time and practice. People constantly change, but you need to find someone who is past the point of quick change. This is usually after the age of 30. But if you are lucky, your partner is focused and stays motivated and is firm in their beliefs.

Thank you lburmaster  - let's hope going forward i am with a focused/motivated partner for the long term.

4. flashmakeit profile image60
    flashmakeitposted 11 years ago

Finding a Christian man maybe hard to do since no one is prefect.  So you have to do the best with your choices in life. A godly man is selfless, like Jesus which makes him Christ like. He never focused attention onto himself therefore you are more willing to follow his orders.

Thank you flashmakeit - is there a difference between a Christian and a godly man??

2. flashmakeit profile image60
      flashmakeitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no difference and thank you for the reply.  I mean a man who cares about peoples well being and follows the right path in life.  He opinion should be trusted.

5. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I think in order to figure out why relationships are so hard we need to go back to "Why are relationships so (easy) in the beginning?"
    The reason it's so easy from the start is one or both people are not presenting their "authentic self". Whenever someone is very attracted to another person they practically bend over backwards to spend time with them. They're afraid to say anything that may put them at risk of "blowing" an opportunity to get close to them. The word "no" is seldom if ever heard. Both people make it a "priority" to ensure the other person is "happy". Once there is an (emotional investment) in the relationship people stop making the same effort. "We work harder to (get) something than we do to (keep) it."
    It's not uncommon to hear someone say, "He/She is not the same person I fell in love with." We are taught to be on our best behavior or strive to make a great "first impression" when we meet someone (new). It is not until we see each other's "authentic selves" that we start having "communication problems".  We'd all be better off if we lived by the code of "Be yourself and let the chips fall where they may." right from the time we meet someone. Awhile back I wrote a hub titled "Relationships: Do we save our best for the beginning?" Far too often the answer to that question is "yes". http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … ebeginning

Great response.  We make it hard because we don't make it real from the beginning.  We act to keep the person around and then when they've invested in us or we in them our true selves begin to reveal themselves.  Interesting.

2. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Dashing...I couldn't have said it better myself. :0)

6. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Only "forced" relationships are hard or relationships where the couples are unequally yoked. Often times both parties find themselves in a struggle for dominance or have conflicting wills.

Relationships that are hard...are relationships that are forced. A quality relationship is not forced nor is it selfish. Most people I have met do not have what it takes to be in a quality relationship.

In many respects our society has a bunch of selfish little boys and girls trying to execute their own will and have things their way. Spells trouble every time.

Thank you CJ Sledgehammer

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true! The moment couples start thinking in terms of (You & Me) instead of (Us & We) then they are no longer a team. I've heard people say, "I don't (care) what he/she wants..etc" If you don't (care) if your mate is happy it's time to mov

7. Monay Love profile image60
    Monay Loveposted 11 years ago

I wish I knew the answer to this question myself. lol relationships aren't easy at all...It just makes me want to date for the rest of my life & never be romantically involved with another man again. From the arguing, the lying, the betrayal, the locked cell phones, just drama. Even the part when you grow apart it's just terrible. But hey, that's life.

thank you Monay Love - I totally agree - being single has it's perks, but it gets lonely.  But relationships make you want to be single cause of all the crap.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you go to the store to purchase an apple but buy an onion instead...Whose fault is that? Do you curse the onion for not being an apple? No! You learn to be a better "shopper". Each of us chooses our own friends, lovers, and spouse. Be selective!

3. ReneeDC1979 profile image59

Thank you dashingscorpio for the humor in your response, but the truth in it as well.  Life is a forever learning process in relationships, etc.

8. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

Relationships are hard to maintain because they require you to give up some of the things that you are used to doing out of love and consideration for the other person in the relationship. Relationships require time, patience, and two people who truly want to be together. In relationships, the words I, me, and mine must give way to we, us, and ours. Also as we grow older, the things we used to enjoy are constantly changing so we have to keep adapting to the changes.

Ultimately, relationships become easier or harder depending on the answer to this question: Would I rather be right or would I rather be happy?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)