jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

What to do if someone you know is suicidal and keeps trying to kill themselves?

1. danicole profile image79
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

What to do if someone you know is suicidal and keeps trying to kill themselves?

2. Askanniep profile image61
    Askanniepposted 3 years ago

Get them help, have them committed even if involuntary.  Suicide is often a cry for help.  Let them know that you and other people care about them.  Good luck

1. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oregon has assisted suicide for the terminal dying. It is not always a crime.

2. Askanniep profile image61
      Askanniepposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ptosis, I never said it was a crime.  I thinks it's safe to assume that if they were attempting suicide due to terminal illness the poster would have mentioned that.

3. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 3 years ago

Try to delay it 30 days. Or ask if blind and suddenly by a miracle could see again - what would you do? (Hopefully answer to see family, etc.) then answer them, you can see - do that now.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Unless it's a case of having a terminal illness or severe reduction in quality of life odds are the person is only thinking about their immediate circumstances.
    Suicidal people are "shortsighted". They do not believe "tomorrow" is going to be any better for them than today is. They feel (they) have nothing (worthwhile) to look forward to. It has little to do with knowing others love and care about them and everything to do with how they feel about their  lives and themselves!
    You can't make someone love them self or believe in them self. At most you can to do is attempt to get them to talk to a professional, write a journal , or another avenue that allows them to pour out their feelings.
    If they have clinical depression then they probably need medications.
    If one can point out the "trigger" that caused them such despair it may be possible to show how it's not "the end of the world". Hopefully each day is a little less dark than the previous one.
    Having said that if someone feels completely hopeless and are hell bent on killing themselves they most likely will eventually find a way to succeed.
    Only the hope for better days ahead keeps one moving forward.

danicoleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I know this is true but I guess the only thing I could offer is support! Thanks for the answer!

5. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 3 years ago

Please listen to them and try to help them or get some help for them. People who are suicidal will really kill themselves because they think their problem has no solution and they lose hope. My mother committed suicide and died. Before she actually killed herself she kept threatening to kill herself and then one day she actually done it. So if someone is suicidal they needed help immediately. If you can't help them, get someone else who could.

6. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

dani......"keeps trying to kill themselves?"   This person is most definitely crying out for help and/or intervention, with no TRUE desire to take their life. 
    Speak to those closest to him/her and seriously discuss the issue, make a decision and a plan.  Naturally Medical Professionals should be consulted or your local Crisis Intervention Center.
    Believe me when I tell you that individuals with authentic, sincere, blatant will to die, accomplish this .....if not on the first try, then by the 2nd time.   Continual attempts that fail are screams for help that for some reason he/she is unable to verbalize or explain...........  Good Luck.

danicoleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

We have a pretty close and open friendship, this person trusts me and tells me most things. This person is getting help now, hopefully it works!!!! Thanks!

7. danicole profile image79
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

Thanks for answering guys!! Your advice has been much help!!!

Closed to reply

working